Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening;

I'm looking for microfiber material to make pouches for really lightweight ammo (bbs, airsoft pellets, light weight 3/8" clay, etc.). What do you all use when it comes to really light weight pouches? These will be made with theraband green for Cub Scout slingshots and just plinking around the house.

Thanks,

Mooch

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been trying to find this material as well.

I found something at the dollar store for lining toolbox drawers - "DURAMAX" non slip shelf liner -. Surprisingly strong; I made a few pouches and they held together quite well with my medium pull flat bands so, should be fine for light bands.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts

I found something at the dollar store for lining toolbox drawers - "DURAMAX" non slip shelf liner -. Surprisingly strong; I made a few pouches and they held together quite well with my medium pull flat bands so, should be fine for light bands.
That's a great idea. I've been sticking with leather, but have been getting some hand slap with lighter ammo. Off to the dollar store! Has anyone experimented with cloth, such as canvas or denim? I've got plenty of that laying around.

·
Registered
173 Posts

That's a great idea. I've been sticking with leather, but have been getting some hand slap with lighter ammo. Off to the dollar store! Has anyone experimented with cloth, such as canvas or denim? I've got plenty of that laying around.
I was actually considering the Denim idea next . My plan was to seal it from raveling with some "iron-on fabric repair tape" The idea is to press it into the fabric, with parchment paper as an insulator between the iron and the fabric. I abandoned this idea after I hunted around the house and, much to my delight, found an old Tilley (genuine leather) wallet I had stored away after the zipper broke.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just about any tough material will work if you can seal the edges I'd think, including the insides of the holes. The problem is finding a way to do that , that doesn't make it heavier and worse in other ways as well than just using leather.

Form my experience with Shepard slings, i think stitching the edges is probably going to be your best bet. Then you're not introducing a different type of substance to the pouch and may help to keep it consistent. Various glues do the job, but leave a hard edge that hurts like a sob if it gets you.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Craft stores such as Michaels and Hobby Lobby often have good pouch leather. Look for the thin stuff that doesn't stretch much. At least it should be low stretch in one direction.

I checked both craft stores mentioned above for 1.5-1.8mm microfiber but had no luck. I also checked a local fabric shop but all thy had was the thin microfiber cloth.

·
985 Posts
Craft stores such as Michaels and Hobby Lobby often have good pouch leather. Look for the thin stuff that doesn't stretch much. At least it should be low stretch in one direction.

I checked both craft stores mentioned above for 1.5-1.8mm microfiber but had no luck. I also checked a local fabric shop but all thy had was the thin microfiber cloth.
I've used some of that leather. They will sell scraps for $10-15. I had issues with it stretching though, and I got these little pockets in my pouch. Does leather usually on stretch one direction? If so I might have to recut my pouches. They're easy to make but I feel they wear out after just an hour or two of use.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

I've used some of that leather. They will sell scraps for $10-15. I had issues with it stretching though, and I got these little pockets in my pouch. Does leather usually on stretch one direction? If so I might have to recut my pouches. They're easy to make but I feel they wear out after just an hour or two of use.
I have had some leather that was far too soft for pouches. It's too soft if you are getting pockets so soon. Most leather seems to stretch more in one direction so orientate accordingly. A good pouch will often last for 2 or 3 bandsets, sometimes more.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

I have had some leather that was far too soft for pouches. It's too soft if you are getting pockets so soon. Most leather seems to stretch more in one direction so orientate accordingly. A good pouch will often last for 2 or 3 bandsets, sometimes more.
I've never had a homemade pouch last so little! I suppose that warrior pouches are a good alternative though, they will definitely last a long time, so they are worth every penny ????

·
985 Posts

I've never had a homemade pouch last so little! I suppose that warrior pouches are a good alternative though, they will definitely last a long time, so they are worth every penny
Yeah, this is really cheap dyed leather. Its great for little projects, but very flimsy, almost like cloth. We've got some leather shops nearby, so I'll have to poke around and see what they have available. I've heard great things about the warrior pouches. I may have to get some!

·
Registered
142 Posts
i realize this is an older post, but i have an update concerning denim/fabric. i wanted large, very lightweight marble pouches. this seems to be solid. dickies work shorts, saturated in e6000 or aleenes fabric fusion, then laser cut, then laminated with 3m super77. my final iteration is .7"×3", appx .6-.7 grams. i have a prototype that is over 500 shots. the key is to keep the material from fraying. ill update later, plan on strength tests

·
Registered
142 Posts
i realize this is an older post, but i have an update concerning denim/fabric. i wanted large, very lightweight marble pouches. this seems to be solid. dickies work shorts, saturated in e6000 or aleenes fabric fusion, then laser cut, then laminated with 3m super77. my final iteration is .7"×3", appx .6-.7 grams. i have a prototype that is over 500 shots. the key is to keep the material from fraying. ill update later, plan on strength tests

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe another way-"weave a pouch"
The material is the wax thread used to sew leather
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:264338]

My machine, making use of combs and wire ducts.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:264336]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts