Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this question would be better asked in shooting tips, mods please move if so.

I have a fused left wrist and some hand damage. I can't really hold a slingshot very well in my left
because of this so I must hold with my right hand. No problem there then but I also have limited supination on left forearm
and can't turn the pouch to be parallel with the forks if I hold the cat horizontal ie bands one above the other in chinese style.
I can get to 40-45deg.

My question is, does this matter? ....... I could of course shoot vertical or at 45deg but I do like the idea of shooting chinese style
with the anchor at the corner of my mouth under my left eye, as Smitty shoots, it makes sense to me.

Your advise would be appreciated, I want to start off right.

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I started shooting "gangsta" style I didn't notice that aLot of times I did not hold the pouch the right way . No accidents happened to me . I can't tell you if there is any different in shooting accuracy as back then could not hit anything anyway 45 deg is ok I say but nothing more .I will try it maybe tomorrow and tell you what I experianced in accuracy .Also I suggest to use wide forks 4.5 cm min.
Just stay tuned if you are not sure dont shoot it.

Other thing you can hold the catapult in around 30 deg then the catapult and the pouch line up almost

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok that's encouraging both, I'll await your tests also Brooklyn 00003.
I'm not worried about anything safety wise, my concern was accuracy.
I've been shooting "gangsta style" , thanks did not know what to call it, and not had any fork strikes or major
wayward shots. I'm just not accurate enough to know if holding gangsta 90 deg from horizontal and the pouch around 45deg
will detract from potential accuracy.
I'm going to be using flat bands mainly, I think.
I'm guessing that if I was using doube tubes with four pouch tying points and/or four fork attach points
it may be more critical?

edit : From what I've been reading a member called Danny might be one to ask, I think he's somewhat of an expert using this technique?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I always thought it was very important to hold the pouch parallel to the forks. I can't tell you why I think this, I just do. Probably my engineering mind telling me everything should be square and parallel or at right angles (I think non-engineers refer to our kind of thinking as "anally retentive"). When shooting I strive for this parallel-ness,and tend to use the non-parallel excuse as a reason to explain my wayward shots. But does it really matter? I haven't done any accuracy tests myself. I just assume it matters - it certainly couldn't hurt to keep things parallel.

I would be interested to read about others tests/experiences with accuracy with a non-parallel pouch. If it doesn't matter, that's one less detail I need to concentrate on while shooting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always thought it was very important to hold the pouch parallel to the forks. I can't tell you why I think this, I just do. Probably my engineering mind telling me everything should be square and parallel or at right angles (I think non-engineers refer to our kind of thinking "anally retentive"). When shooting I strive for this parallel-ness,and tend to use the non-parallel excuse as a reason to explain my wayward shots. But does it really matter? I haven't done any accuracy tests myself. I just assume it matters - it certainly couldn't hurt to keep things parallel.

I would be interested to read about others tests/experiences with accuracy with a non-parallel pouch. If it doesn't matter, that's one less detail I need to concentrate on while shooting.
I've been called that many times as I guess most engineers have. I instinctively, as you, would love everything neat and tidy but it cannot be I'm afraid.
To be honest knowing that things arn't right may be enough to put me off persuing it.
I'll wait for test results and the more experienced before I decide which style to go with.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To be honest knowing that things arn't right may be enough to put me off persuing it.
A truely anally retentive engineer would not give it up. They'd design a mechanical release device with variable angle. Bonus points if you design one that auto-senses and auto-rotates to the correct angle, uses less than 1 kilowatt of power, and weighs less than 20 lbs.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
I hold my frame bout 45Deg and started holding the pouch bout 45Deg to the forks I started this when another member brought it up and it seemed to help me but Ive always been a little bass ackwards

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
From what I've been reading a member called Danny might be one to ask, I think he's somewhat of an expert using this technique?
Danny is an expert; he shoots at a target the size of a quarter at 10 metres. I can imagine what he'd say, though: Keep it straight if at all possible.

If you have wrist and hand problems, can you use a wrist-brace?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A truely anally retentive engineer would not give it up. They'd design a mechanical release device with variable angle. Bonus points if you design one that auto-senses and auto-rotates to the correct angle, uses less than 1 kilowatt of power, and weighs less than 20 lbs.
[/quote]

I may just do that!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I've been reading a member called Danny might be one to ask, I think he's somewhat of an expert using this technique?
Danny is an expert; he shoots at a target the size of a quarter at 10 metres. I can imagine what he'd say, though: Keep it straight if at all possible.

If you have wrist and hand problems, can you use a wrist-brace?
[/quote]

I suspect he would say that, it seems the right way. A quarter is around 24mm dia from google. If I reach that sort of accuracy
I'd be very happy!

Wrist brace, it's not the strength thats the problem my wrist is fixed solid with a 4 hole stainless flat bar + bone/callus formation and is very strong.
I have nerve / tendon damage and muscle loss which prevents me gripping the cat. I can hold it in hammer grip but it tends to rotate + it pulls against my thumb joint
as I have no palm shelf.
I have ordered one of Jack Koehlers' King Cats which I think I could use on the left. I would certainly prefer to hold the cat in my left as my pinch strength between left thumb and forefinger
is not great. I can just about hold and pull 20mm double flat bands but my pinch grip tires quite quickly, double 15mm bands I could cope with ok I feel.

I would like to be able to use a small cat so I can pop it in my back pack to go camping. So I guess for target I would shoot left handed with the King Cat and hunt right handed.

I'm begining to think I will just have to hold the cat either vertical of canted to 40-45deg. I was hitting a can at 20y holding like that after several shots to get my aim and muscle memory but I thought sighting would be easier / more consistant shooting one band above the other as Smitty or Danny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is a good question, I find it difficult to go full "Gangsta" style, because of how I anchor at the jawline. To keep everything all lined up, I hold the frame at a 45 degree angle. I often wonder if "Pouch Twist" no matter how minute, would effect accuracy. I can't see how it wouldn't, even if it's to the smallest degree. I hope it doesn't, because I like having the top fork there to use as an aiming device when going "Gangsta".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a good question, I find it difficult to go full "Gangsta" style, because of how I anchor at the jawline. To keep everything all lined up, I hold the frame at a 45 degree angle. I often wonder if "Pouch Twist" no matter how minute, would effect accuracy. I can't see how it wouldn't, even if it's to the smallest degree. I hope it doesn't, because I like having the top fork there to use as an aiming device when going "Gangsta".
I'm thinking it may be more important with looped tubes especially if they are connected two either side of the pouch and one above the other on the forks.
I feel that setup may need to be shot all lined up, the pouch would imeadiately try to come true on release, I think? ....... Be nice to see some slow mo test vids, anyone got high speed gear and feel like proving it one way or tother?

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
For me I cannot hit anything unless I give the band or the pouch a quarter turn. I say pouch or band because I have some shooters that are pouchless. Also since there is a funtional problem with your wrist you can attach a set of bands to a glove. I have such a shooter I call it Glove Shooter. I think there is still a picture of it in the Gallery. I have made a change with it since. Have been wanting to post video of this Glove Shooter and it is accurate to the degree of ones on ability. Technique is everything.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
I made this style to keep the twist out of the bands and pouch. But I could not shoot it as well as one with the 1/4 twist. It seemed like it was more critical release. -- Tex-Shooter

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
For me I cannot hit anything unless I give the band or the pouch a quarter turn. I say pouch or band because I have some shooters that are pouchless. Also since there is a funtional problem with your wrist you can attach a set of bands to a glove. I have such a shooter I call it Glove Shooter. I think there is still a picture of it in the Gallery. I have made a change with it since. Have been wanting to post video of this Glove Shooter and it is accurate to the degree of ones on ability. Technique is everything.
Thats interesting, I wonder why that is, is it possible the way you hold the cat the bands stretch differently either side and the quarter turn evens it up? Just a thought.
I don't think thr glove would work for me. I have two fingers attached to one tendon, they only moved a little independantly of each other. Plus I have no thumb opposition, might be worth a look though if you could post a pic, thank you. Yes I'm learning, my technique is developing slowly, not very consistant yet though. Sometimes I hit easily for a run then I miss for a run, it's a little infuriating!

I remember the same when I started in Trad Archery. I'll get there!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I made this style to keep the twist out of the bands and pouch. But I could not shoot it as well as one with the 1/4 twist. It seemed like it was more critical release. -- Tex-Shooter
Unless I'm missing something I can't quite see how that works, if you hold the fork horizontal, gangsta style, do you not have to hold the pouch horizontal also to keep in line?
If so I'd have to rotate even more than I can.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.