Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a FNG to this sport, i have a some questions about pouches. I was looking at the favorite pouches thread and it got me thinking.

What size pouch for what size ammo? I have some i got from amazon that say 11 mm on package but measure around 15 mm. some that came with the tubes around 20 mm.

Also what about shape? some are wider in the middle with little semi circles and some aren't, some are wider on the ends.

So if some one could enlighten me it would be great.

Thanks

Steve

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Hi Steve, two options I'd recommend: 1) PM Rayshot, tell him what you'll be shooting, and let him set you up. Or, peruse the offerings at SimpleShot.com. The owner offers these sizing suggestions:

"For those who like a minimal pouch and shoot projectiles from 5/16"-7/16" choose the 5/8"-5mm

For a good 'do it all' pouch and shoot projectiles from 3/8"-1/2" choose the 3/4"-5mm
For large ammo- 1/2"+ choose the large/standard size"

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
This is a great question. I will defer to more knowledgeable slingers.
Weight of the pouch and your release style and ammo weight and type are the variables.
What is your ammo of choice and shooting style, i.e., ttf, ott, or pfs? Just to get started.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am shooting a axiom ocularis gangsta, with 3/8 inch steel and have some 1/4 inch steel on the way. I ordered a set of 1842 tubes at the same time as the slingshot but because of some nerve damage in my arm and hand they were a little to heavy right now. I made a set of looped 1632's and a set of pseudo tapered 2040's. not sure about the weight of the pouchs or my release style.

Thanks

Steve

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
I've discovered that the most inportant thing for me was to shoot a number of different style, shape and size pouches in order to discover my favorite pouch. To my surprise, my favorite would be the least favorite or most disliked pouch size and shape recommended on the forum. So don't be afraid to experiment with pouches to discover what suits you best.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
A pouch has only one job and that is not shedding the ball/projectile as it accelerates and finally releases it. I have shot many pouches that were not any wider than the ball (elk hide molds well enough to form a good pocket for a narrow pouch) but, as a general rule, a wider pouch is preferred - up to a point.

What I want in a pouch is some way to stabalize the ball in the pouch. This can be accomplished by either putting a small hole in the center of the pouch or by wetting (leather) the pouch and then forming a pocket in the wetted pouch by squeezing and molding it by hand around a ball. Put the free ends in a vise or between a couple of books or whatever. When it drys you should be all set.

The hole in the pouch method works well too except as time goes by the hole will inevetably expand in size. As an example, I can't shoot 3/8 with my current set-up because the 7/16 I shoot has expanded the hole to the point that the 3/8 will fall through. Still works great for 7/16 though.

Sure shot laminated pouches are my present favorite but it is worth while finding some old leather and play around with making your own. You will learn quite a bit and it, like making your own slingshot, can be rewarding.

winnie

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
This is kind of why I asked everyone "what's your favorite pouch" knowing I'd get many many different answers. Pouches are totally up to the individual. Much like your favorite frame or bands. One good thing is their cheep so play around untill you find one that works for you

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I tried using what others have said small ones but I found that for me a bigger pouch that's double cupped works best for me . It's not like anyone here has done laboratory tests under controlled conditions to actually no which pouch works the best for accuracy so it comes down to individual technique .

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I like smallish pouches. For .177", 1/4" and 5/16" ammo I have two favorite Chinese micro fiber pouch sizes. One is a straight cut 48mm x 15mm and the other is 45mm x 12mm and tapers from center to the band holes. For 3/8" ammo I cut my own leather pouches at 2 5/8" x 3/4".

Try out a bunch of shapes and sizes to see what works best for you. They are easy to make so you can try a variety for cheap.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
What JR said. Its so much personal preference.

Sureshot pouches are amazingly well made - I prefer warrior pouches though, Simpelshot's are really good as well. Cheap Chinese microfibre ones are fantastic for up to 6mm...

For me to have one thats probably twice as the ammo and 3-4x longer than it is wide seems about ideal - but I like the pouch as light as possible - have a good grip - and able to feel my ammo.

Just get a bucket load - you'll find some resonate with you better than others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts