Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

First questions but I am sure of many more as can`t get enough of progressing in this hobby.

I did forum search but maybe missed key words?

Anyway,

As total newb am following band cutting rule of thumb of twice ammo diameter at wide frame end and

1 1/2 at pouch, feels good enough for me at this point.

I then tie using from 4-5 times active to anchor ratio and adjust to comfort, learning quick.

I ordered RAYS SUPER SURE pouches am excited to test but as avid DIY kinda guy would like to try my hand at making

pouches.

So questions?

Is there a rule of thumb starting ratio for ammo dia size to pouch length AND width?

As well, centering and side hole dia size for ammo please?

Hole size for band width as well?

What I am finding and really enjoying shooting sling shots is the set up phase then testing, so fun!

Any and all input will be absorbed and implemented.

I am on a strict budget at this time thanks to covid killing my 2020 event year and as is cold here now other outdoor

activities are put on hold.

The quality of my life is much improved setting up a frame, then going just out my front door to target test until my hands and mostly fingers are to cold

to shoot ok.

I have 6 very cheap china frames with ott and ttf for 8,10 and 12 mm ammo.

Found some leather scraps and am searching ebay for cheap hole punches to make pouches.

So far my biggest ah ha moment is feeling the flesh of my fore finger and thumb just contact behind ammo and pouch prior to release.

This seems to allow better, cleaner release getting to the point where have no fly aways.

Happy New Year to all from EU and stay covid free!

ukj

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
There are so many variables to dogmatically say something should be done a particular way. There are material variables, preference variables, temperature variables, personal physical variables etc, etc.

As many of have done, start somewhere like you are doing and keep enjoying the fun in the process and your preferences manifest themselves.

Being a DIY is a good thing in this hobby.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
In my humble opinion, you are thinking way too much about the center hole. It is merely a locator to help center the ammo. Even with a hole, you still need to pay attention that the ends are even, so the hole is just a suggestion. I get it that there are designs like the pit locator pouches and the Chinese ones with ammo specific hole sizes, but there are also plenty of pouches with no center hole at all. Pay attention to how you place the ball into the pouch and before long it will naturally form itself for consistent placement. The key is to get it perfectly centered. Other than that, just make sure it's small enough that your chosen ammo size won't slip through when the laws of physics take over.

I forget who it was, but someone posted that their accuracy improved when they switched to a pouch with no centering hole. My thought was that with a hole you are placing the ammo where the manufacturer says it should go, but without a hole you are placing it where you know it should go.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
My advice is that you change your paradigm a bit.

What you want is a pouch that will both center the ball and not shed the ball as it moves from your release to the fork.

Consider the forces on the ball. As the ball is being pulled along it is going to automatically center unless something impedes it. A hole that is too large in comparison to the size of the ball can cause a problem. A smaller hole will not make much difference.

This is what I have come to down through the years:

Leather pouch - Moisten the leather pouch and place a ball (I generally use a slightly smaller ball but it is not necessary) into the pouch and pull it TIGHT. Secure it and and let it dry. This will form a permanent pocket in your pouch that will help center it.

Synthetic pouch - Place ball in pouch (again, I prefer a smaller ball here but it isn't necessary) and pull the pouch tight around the ball. Next, using a flame quickly pass the flame across and around the pouch and, using your fingers quickly push around the warm pouch material until a bit of cupping is formed.

Problem solved.

If you are cutting your own pouches they can be long or short. Longer pouches will technically be less efficient because the longer leather takes up room that would otherwise be rubber. But who cares?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My advice is that you change your paradigm a bit.

What you want is a pouch that will both center the ball and not shed the ball as it moves from your release to the fork.

Consider the forces on the ball. As the ball is being pulled along it is going to automatically center unless something impedes it. A hole that is too large in comparison to the size of the ball can cause a problem. A smaller hole will not make much difference.

This is what I have come to down through the years:

Leather pouch - Moisten the leather pouch and place a ball (I generally use a slightly smaller ball but it is not necessary) into the pouch and pull it TIGHT. Secure it and and let it dry. This will form a permanent pocket in your pouch that will help center it.

Synthetic pouch - Place ball in pouch (again, I prefer a smaller ball here but it isn't necessary) and pull the pouch tight around the ball. Next, using a flame quickly pass the flame across and around the pouch and, using your fingers quickly push around the warm pouch material until a bit of cupping is formed.

Problem solved.

If you are cutting your own pouches they can be long or short. Longer pouches will technically be less efficient because the longer leather takes up room that would otherwise be rubber. But who cares?
In my humble opinion, you are thinking way too much about the center hole. It is merely a locator to help center the ammo. Even with a hole, you still need to pay attention that the ends are even, so the hole is just a suggestion. I get it that there are designs like the pit locator pouches and the Chinese ones with ammo specific hole sizes, but there are also plenty of pouches with no center hole at all. Pay attention to how you place the ball into the pouch and before long it will naturally form itself for consistent placement. The key is to get it perfectly centered. Other than that, just make sure it's small enough that your chosen ammo size won't slip through when the laws of physics take over.

I forget who it was, but someone posted that their accuracy improved when they switched to a pouch with no centering hole. My thought was that with a hole you are placing the ammo where the manufacturer says it should go, but without a hole you are placing it where you know it should go.
Thank you for info.

I as such a newb have never even shot with no center hole, will make one soon to test.

More fun!

ukj

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, learning this forum, did not mean to double quote but had intended to ask user Winnie

how he "pulls slightly damp leather pouch around ammo and secures"?

Any change you could post photo and, or explain how you do this please?

ukj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.