Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bands that came with my slingshot are about 9" long and taper from 3/4" to 1/2"

The pouch is 1 3/4" long by slightly less than 1/2" wide.

Wondering what size ammo would be best suited to these bands and pouch? The pouch seems small for the 3/8" steel ammo I picked up today.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I see your dilemma.

The bands are cut to a fairly potent taper. They might give you hand-slap with ammo lighter that 3/8-inch steel.

But the pouch is about the minimum size for that ammo.

Like many of us, I have shot a lot of 3/8 with those pouches, but prefer something a bigger - 2 to 2-1/2 inches long keeps my fingers off the ties.

If you shoot the 3/8 take care to center the ammo every shot (a great habit anyway).

If you shoot anything smaller, you may want to set up the band length so the relaxed length (fork tie to pouch tie) is 1/4 or a little more of your draw length. That is a lighter draw and less power than cutting to 1/5 the draw length and may reduce hand-slap.

May be a good time to try some alternative pouches though!

Good luck!
Thx for the input! B)

I was actually shooting some .177 BB's yesterday and did experience the hand slap.

The slingshot I bought came with 10 sets of those bands and the slingshot.

I think today I will be looking though my scraps of leather to find something suitable to make my own pouch, This is all new to me but thanks to the forum and YouTube just about anything is doable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Those tiny Chinese pouches work fine for 1/4", 7mm and 8mm ammo. I was using them for 3/8" steel but had a few accidents. The pouch softens up a bit with use and the notches in the center are a bad idea for large ammo. It is possible for the pouch to slip by the ball and spinning it off somewhere you don't want.
I am beginning to think this SlingShot would be better suited for 1/4" ammo.

I got out the chrony today and it was averaging about 190fps with 3/8" steel. But it is only just over freezing here, about 34 degrees. Cold enough I put a glove on my SlingShot hand, so being new to this I don't know how much the cold is effecting the speed.

I think I need to get some 1/4" ammo for this SlingShot and for my next SlingShot that I plan to order soon get something better suited to shoot the 3/8" ammo that I just bought a 1000 of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.