Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just wondering roughly how tight I should tie my pouch ties. I use a little strip of TBG and use the wrap and tuck method. I use a little portable band jig I brought from eBay for around $15 and it seems to work well. I just can't figure out the right tightness of my ties to help longer prevent breaks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to use strips of elastic and never got more than 100 shots no matter how loose, or tight. Now I use cotton string and never have a band tear. No matter how extreme of a taper. I shoot tapered flats over 1000 shots with no tearing now. I just replace my bands when the elastic performance drops off.
Could u send a pic of the cotton string you use mate that sounds great!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using cotton string (constrictor knot) with excellent results. I recently switched to artificial sinew and have a spool of 1mm waxed thread on the way to me. So far the sinew is working perfectly and no tears yet.
Ok awesome! I'll switch to cotton string I have some right here If this is the right one haha I think it is...

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
I tighten my constrictor knots pretty tight and never have issues with premature band wear. I use cotton utility twine from Walmart :)

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I agree with Joe, you might be pre stretching a bit too much.

I started using the chinese tying ribbon stuff for pouch ties and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. Cotton butchers twine with a constrictor knot is time tested, light weight, fast, and cheap.
If it doesn't ease your problem you may be pre stretching the band in the jig too much.
No probs. I don't think I'm stretching it too much as it still has ability to stretch another 2-3cm but if the cotton doesn't resolve my problem I will make sure it has more give than that.

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
One thing I will add is to make sure you tie the constrictor knot correctly, I thought I was at first but was tieing a millers knot which would slip and not hold. Once I got it right with the constrictor I have not had a knot slip, at least not yet :)

Reactions: ZS1 and Tag

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I will add is to make sure you tie the constrictor knot correctly, I thought I was at first but was tieing a millers knot which would slip and not hold. Once I got it right with the constrictor I have not had a knot slip, at least not yet :)
Ok cheers I know I am doing the constrictors knot correctly and I haven't had one slip and was shooting a lot today. My hope is that I will get more shots from my bandsets that is the goal.

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,418 Posts
I use most of the time a constrictor knot using 2mil waxed cotton jewelers twine and it is great .. has a good surface area for even holding and has never given up the ghost. I do put a dab of superglue on the ends to stop any fraying.

I've been using Chinese tying ribbon lately and so far that has been holding up well also.

wll

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use most of the time a constrictor knot using 2mil waxed cotton jewelers twine and it is great .. has a good surface area for even holding and has never given up the ghost. I do put a dab of superglue on the ends to stop any fraying.

I've been using Chinese tying ribbon lately and so far that has been holding up well also.

wll
Cheers mate.

·
4,418 Posts

wll
Lately I have been doing a lot of slingshot stuff and tying on pouches for this and for that. My Chinese tying jig has been working well and the elastic ribbon material has been working well too, but it is a bit of a pain, a constrictor knot and my 2mm waxed cotton string is much faster, and to tell ya the truth I have NEVER had tubes pull out or have trouble with it.

On the same train of thought, the butchers twine I used worked very well, was cheap and is very light........ So I started to use that again and no surprise to anyone here it works just great and is very clean looking using a constrictor knot. Got to tell ya, the constrictor knot is the best thing since sliced bread !!

I went shopping for butchers cotton twine and found a black and white butchers twine that will snaz up the tie a little so I bought some, it arrives on Monday, here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/Durable-Perfect-Gardening-Butchers-Wrapping/dp/B06XB6FJ7S/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=black+and+white+butchers+twine&qid=1578770513&sr=8-5

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Got my black and white cotton twine and it looks great. Here is a sample of the black and white next to a white sample of cotton twine. Both have constrictor knots and are wrapped around a 5/15" piece of aluminum.

Twine%20and%20Knots%20sm.png

wll

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my black and white cotton twine and it looks great. Here is a sample of the black and white next to a white sample of cotton twine. Both have constrictor knots and are wrapped around a 5/15" piece of aluminum.

Twine%20and%20Knots%20sm.png

wll
That is a nice colour :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts