Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I' think the pouch is one of the most important factor's wich make a good shooter. I'm interested in all your different pouch styles.

Post them in here. Insect Blue Moths and butterflies Arthropod Pollinator That is my favorite pouch. pretty light weight and it can easily manage 1/2 steel (or lead).

I use a jig for scribing: Frog Toy Amphibian Electric blue Terrestrial plant

Regards Friedrich

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I agree it seems important to me. I have heard many theories about pouch design and my own designs are constantly evolving. I like your taper idea.

I did some really light bands once. I'll have to look for the photos. They were under half a gram.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Nylon mesh and 120lb test nylon cord 0.4g (0.014oz)

Nylon mesh and cotton thread stitching 0.2g (0.007oz)

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I started some tests and got distracted as the Chrony still hasn't come. I think it's to early to call. In any case, I wouldn't shoot anything like this unless like me, you're just curious what would happen if the pouch was ridiculously light.

·
Registered
484 Posts

this is my best pouche. making it lighter with more holes dosn´t center the ball so good! but this need excelent lether!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes, Baumstamm! It is a great pouch-style . I've got one and i copied it a few time!

And ZDP: I like your nylon pouch but are they nice to the touch? I think thats important, too!

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I started some tests and got distracted as the Chrony still hasn't come. I think it's to early to call. In any case, I wouldn't shoot anything like this unless like me, you're just curious what would happen if the pouch was ridiculously light.
I've made a few of thin nylon webbing pierced with a large hot nail and reinforced with superglue ...and actually prefer them over leather.
Not purty but functional and seems to have outlasted 2 sets of bands- still going strong after 1200 shots thusfar. The webbing is from a freebie neck key chain.

Have about 15# combined of 3/8" & 7/16" ball on this dankung 4 hole leather pouch...

I use biopsy punches for the center hole( 3.5mm and lightning holes use a 2mm) and washers for the ball form.

G

·
I've made a few of thin nylon webbing pierced with a large hot nail and reinforced with superglue ...and actually prefer them over leather.
Not purty but functional and seems to have outlasted 2 sets of bands- still going strong after 1200 shots thusfar. The webbing is from a freebie neck key chain.

Have about 15# combined of 3/8" & 7/16" ball on this dankung 4 hole leather pouch...

I use biopsy punches for the center hole( 3.5mm and lightning holes use a 2mm) and washers for the ball form.
[/quote]

actually the pouch with 4 holes is for 8 strands tube, the size is bigger.
we prefer to use the pouch with 2 holes if you use 4 strands tubes,1 hole for each size. so minimize the pouch size and heavy.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
I use Double Cupped ,Single Cupped , straight, all cowhide and all between 4 -6 ounces. Some stiff leather,some soft leather. I've tried nylon,different fabrics,screening,poly mesh, but I always come back to leather. I guess it's just the feel of good old leather. My favorite right now is a Double cupped pouch. No other pouch has a better grip ( that I've tried). Flatband

·
Registered
855 Posts
Lots of good stuff here.
I usually use Trumark pouches that I mold into double cups and shorten a bit. I chop them off just behind where the factory holes are and then punch new holes of my own. I can also just punch for small holes for Dankung type tubing. I also have a couple of Baumstamm's pouches and they are excellent, very small and nearly weightless! Danny, I like the idea of nylon webbing. I've thought of it before, but I didn't know if it would hold up, so I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I really like the plastic pouches you find on the Saunders slingshots. They have a great grip, are really light and the attachment is truly elegant.

Regarding the weight, it is really important if you shoot lightweight ammo.

A 3 Gramm pouch weighs almost the same as a 3/8 steel ball, but less than 10% of a .75 lead ball...

So when I was hunting for the maximum speed with 3/8s, a super lightweight pouch and extremely tapered bands worked really well. But then the problem of the lengthwise tearing arises. So it is questionable if optimizing the weight of the pouch beyond a certain point makes much sense anyway.

Jörg

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Just my two cents worth...I think of the pouches I have actually touched...Baumstamm, Flatband and Tex make some kinda awesome pouches. I used to think the pouch didn't matter too much, but boy was I dead wrong ! Now I think the pouch is the most important contributer to accuracy. I do like a soft pouch with just a touch of stiff to it.

G

·
I really like the plastic pouches you find on the Saunders slingshots. They have a great grip, are really light and the attachment is truly elegant.

A 3 Gramm pouch weighs almost the same as a 3/8 steel ball, but less than 10% of a .75 lead ball...

So when I was hunting for the maximum speed with 3/8s, a super lightweight pouch and extremely tapered bands worked really well. . So it is questionable if optimizing the weight of the pouch beyond a certain point makes much sense anyway.

Jörg
But then the problem of the lengthwise tearing arises,

it is right ,i personly think we would be best to choose a little strong and thicker leather with light weight when we hunt,normally the hard and strong leather is best choice if use higher pull flatband or tube.cz the hard leather will become a little soft after you shoot for a while and not easy to arise lengthwise tearing also.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So when I was hunting for the maximum speed with 3/8s, a super lightweight pouch and extremely tapered bands worked really well. . So it is questionable if optimizing the weight of the pouch beyond a certain point makes much sense anyway.

Jörg
But then the problem of the lengthwise tearing arises,

it is right ,i personly think we would be best to choose a little strong and thicker leather with light weight when we hunt,normally the hard and strong leather is best choice if use higher pull flatband or tube.cz the hard leather will become a little soft after you shoot for a while and not easy to arise lengthwise tearing also.
[/quote]

I use goat leather for my pouches since a few weeks. It's very thin and lightweight stuff AND it does tear. If you punch the holes right they will last

very long. acctualy i had no pouch wich broke. I don't like those thick pouches, the don't feel right.

Everyone should decide on his own!

Hand tool Revolver Tool Wood Everyday carry

Friedrich

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi folks,
I thought this might be a good thread to ask a question. My problem in shooting is that I lost my entire right thumb in a commercial fishing accident so I can not pinch the pouch like the rest of you. I pinch the pouch between my first and second finger, archery style, but with no string to hang on to it seems that all my effort goes into hanging on to the pouch and my release is poor with heavy bands. I have my slingshots for hunting and shoot fairly stout bands. I am looking for a pouch, trick, technique or suggestion that might improve the situation. You folks certainly seem like problem solvers and innovators so I thought I would toss this out for your help and ideas.

Thanks, frosty2

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
frosty2, that's the technique I use for holding the pouch as well, and I did pretty good with it at the Alverton tourny this year. I use Tex Express bands and have no issues. Only advice I can give is keep doing what you're doing. It's the technique I will be taking to my grave.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts