Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Nice job guys!
Charles, there's a chance you may have been shooting faster than you think, I noticed you shot through the chrony in a downwards direction, that creates a longer journey in between sensors for the ball.. just a guess but 220 may possible with a flat shot..?! Cheers

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Nice job guys! Charles, there's a chance you may have been shooting faster than you think, I noticed you shot through the chrony in a downwards direction, that creates a longer journey in between sensors for the ball.. just a guess but 220 may possible with a flat shot..?! Cheers
Thanks, Ben. I probably was shooting a bit downward. I was still hitting my backstop up near the top. I tried to compensate by taking a really wide stance, but that was only partially successful. I was too lazy to get out a card table to raise my backstop up. I have some hopes of trying for a higher energy at a later date. But for now, I was just thankful to clear that first hurdle.

Now me lad, you have already done some outrageous performances. Time for you to give us all something to shoot for. Your temperatures down under ought to be conducive to some really high velocities this time of year.

Cheers ..... Charles[/quote]

Either way Charles good results :)
Don't worry ill be putting in a few shots soon, unfortunately I'm all out of tb gold, so ill have to see what I can do with a heavy silver cut.. then again I do have some tubes just sitting there.. ( what? Me using tubes... that's un heared of lol)
Actually the weather has been quite mild lately, low mid 20c deg, so I won't have a great advantage there.. see how we go ;)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Ok it was Daddy day care (evening shift) tonight, so didn't get much time to mess around, so I rigged up a pretty heavy tb silver band set to get an idea of how they lug the bigger balls.. Temp about 20c , shooting .454 lead balls.. I like the silver, and so far think .454 may be too small for this band rig !....? Cheers all..

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I just noticed that my balls are bigger than Henry's, but Henry's weigh more :p ( i won't say it lol), mistake maybe?
Bullseyeben 22.2 lb/ft 30.16 joules 266.8 (.454cal/11.5mm lead -140 gr/9.1 gm) Bill Hays 21.1 lb/ft 28.6 joules 419.5 fps (.33cal/8.4mm lead -54 gr/3.5 gm) Henry in Panama 20.61 lb/ft 27.94 joules 218.4 fps (.45 cal/11.43mm lead bullet -194 grains/12.57)
?
I am going to re stock next.few days on more .454 and hopefully some .50 too so I hope to get a weight confirmation then to clear the fog.. in the mean time i got a 270 plus today with the .454 lead black powder balls with.a lighter/ longer draw ...vid up soon.. cheers all

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I just noticed that my balls are bigger than Henry's, but Henry's weigh more :p ( i won't say it lol), mistake maybe? Bullseyeben 22.2 lb/ft 30.16 joules 266.8 (.454cal/11.5mm lead -140 gr/9.1 gm) Bill Hays 21.1 lb/ft 28.6 joules 419.5 fps (.33cal/8.4mm lead -54 gr/3.5 gm) Henry in Panama 20.61 lb/ft 27.94 joules 218.4 fps (.45 cal/11.43mm lead bullet -194 grains/12.57) ? I am going to re stock next.few days on more .454 and hopefully some .50 too so I hope to get a weight confirmation then to clear the fog.. in the mean time i got a 270 plus today with the .454 lead black powder balls with.a lighter/ longer draw ...vid up soon.. cheers all
Nope, no mistake. Mine aren't balls, they are solid lead pointy bullets, and I weighed them. Here is a grainy picture. The one on the left is a .50 ball. On the right is my .45 bullet. :)

[img=[URL=http://d1jbh04gm6ogzc.cloudfront.net/public/style_images/tctc91_glare/attachicon.gif%5D]http://d1jbh04gm6ogzc.cloudfront.net/public/style_images/tctc91_glare/attachicon.gif][/URL] http://slingshotforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=30434]bullet.jpg[/quote]
Well that would make sense... thanks for the clarification.. I prob should pay more attention to the initial post lol.. and maybe create an digital scale app for the smart phone too :p cheers

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Well I finally decided to get off my butt and enter this competition. My average velocity was 247 fps and an average fpe of 34.3.

The slingshot I was using was a holy fork with 24 cm long active band length, 1.5 cm tapered to 1 cm thera band gold. The ammo was 5/8" steel weighing 253.24 grain. I set up the chrony using Mjs tutorial, and was 180" away from my target. My draw length was around 36". The pouch was constructed out of a work glove that was very thin but strong leather.

I hope I answered everything correctly and followed the rules properly.

Cheers BC-Slinger :king:
Good on ya for having a crack at the power club BC! Unfortunately I doubt this an accurate chrony reading given the amo, band cut and draw length.. not in any way am I being critical, or trying to rain on the parade, but I think a 3/8 steel would struggle to hit 250fps with this set up.. keep at it though and do try the paper method for a more accurate result, cheers Ben :)

Reactions: M.J

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Well done fellas, I must say I did think bc was shooting single layer tb gold in the first entry, not 3! That would make a substantial difference, also a longer draw too... well done guys :)
Now I think I need way bigger balls!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.