Slingshots Forum banner

Power Rangers

80K views 318 replies 34 participants last post by  EllipsisNL 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do you enjoy shooting heavy pull slingshots with lots of power? Like to bust things up? This is the Club for you.

Here's how to become a Power Ranger.

• Find a bandset/ammo combination that will produce at least 180 feet (54.86 meters) per second or higher velocity and 15 lb/ft (20.4 joules)
  • Make a video similar to the one in the next post.
  • You and the Chrony should be visible when the shots are made. After each shot, either zoom to the Chrony readout or move the camera close enough to see the readout, keeping the Chrony in view at all times. The most powerful shot must be backed up by at least one other shot within 5% of the same power. Please do not edit the video at any point between the first and last shot. It's OK to shoot a lot of shots and remove from each end, but the qualifying shots should be continuous.
  • Post the video and full information about the fork, bandset, and ammo. The same information about the ammo as above must be included. Include the dimensions, width, taper, relaxed length (fork to pouch tie), and pouch. Give the size and type of round ball. If you use any ammo other than round ball steel or lead, you must weigh the ammo. Use scales with an accuracy of .01% or better. Also state your approximate draw length.
  • The frame may be any form, but rubber must be drawn with one hand only. There are no restrictions on ammo weight.

The Android app "Chrono Connect" has been approved for both Speed Freaks and Power Rangers. To qualify for either Speed Freaks or Power Rangers with this app, please review and follow this tutorial.

http://slingshotforu...setup-tutorial/

The video must show your setup, including measurements from 1st sound producer to target. The 1st sound producer should be far enough from the slingshot that the pouch does not strike the sound producer. The distance from 1st sound producer to target must be entered into Chrono Connect precisely as measured and that distance must be at least 192 inches. Sound sensitivity of the app should be set to the lowest setting which will produce results. It is very important to follow the tutorial and these instructions exactly, as any deviation can result in erratic readings. Setups which do not conform to the tutorial will not be considered for qualification.

See less See more
I'm adding my instructional video and first entry for Power Rangers here to keep it as close to the top as possible. Please excuse the sniffing. I have some allergies working on me right now.

Frame: - Cashew Fork Ringshooter

Bands/tubes - looped Dankung 2040 tubes, 7 inches pull. Jim Harris (Performance Catapults) pouch

Ammo - .495 cal lead ball, measured weight 172 grains/11.2 grams

FPE - 16.8 lb/ft 22.78 joules

Velocity - 209.5 fps

I figure some of the younger, stronger guys are going to be showing us Old Geezers 50+ lb/ft in short order. Tobias has already shown us 80 lb/ft (100+ joules) and it won't be a big deal for him to repeat it. I see some exciting times ahead.

I want to caution everyone about the dangers at high power levels. A pocket pistol shooting .25 ACP generates about 65 lb/ft of muzzle energy. I think everyone will agree that a .25 ACP pistol is capable of killing, so if you are strong enough to pull a slingshot that can generate 50+ lb/ft, treat it with the same respect you would a handgun. Protect your fork holding hand and make sure your backstop will not cause ricochets. And get some good shooting glasses.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I need 248 fps with the 44cal do-it mold lead balls to reach 15 ft/lbs. Right?
The only way you can be certain of ball weight is to weigh them. Your alloy can vary weight by quite a bit. I have two Do-It molds and my current batch of .44 balls (actual diameter .429) cast mostly from wheel weights weigh 116 grains. To make it easy, here is an an Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for you. It gave me 242 fps with my balls for 15.09 lb/ft.

View attachment AmmoCalc.xls

Attachments

Discussion starter · #17 ·
. Would you believe 16.8 lb/ft with 2040 tubes?
No kidding!

Nobody likes 2040s more than me but I can't even imagine using them with .495 lead. That shows the advantages of long draw and high temperature.

Fun stuff!
Indeed! On average I got about 5 fps faster speed with 1842, but that is more a reflection of my weakened condition after two pretty rough weeks of allergies and leg infection than the different potentials. I should be able to get about 10 fps more with 1842.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
The only way you can be certain of ball weight is to weigh them. Your alloy can vary weight by quite a bit. I have two Do-It molds and my current batch of .44 balls (actual diameter .429) cast mostly from wheel weights weigh 116 grains. To make it easy, here is an an Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for you. It gave me 242 fps with my balls for 15.09 lb/ft.

attachicon.gif
AmmoCalc.xls
Do I need a special scale?
Yes, but they are cheap. I have an AWS AC-Pro 200, accurate to ,01 gram. It cost me $20.00. I bought a calibration kit with it and shipping was free.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=aws+scale

Discussion starter · #22 ·

attachicon.gif
AmmoCalc.xls
Do I need a special scale?
Postal scales work well.
Many postal scales are only accurate to .1 ounce, which is 43.74 grains or 2.83 grams. If you do use a scale of unknown accuracy, weigh 50 or more balls at once to reduce the error.

Congrats Ol' Bean! That is some serious power.
Thank you Henry. My new goal is to break 30 ft/lbs. ( Henry, l really like your profile photo.)
I have every confidence we'll be seeing 30+ lb/ft from you as soon as the weather warms. We old geezers will be happy with 20.

I like my profile picture, too and really wish I looked that studly all the time. LOL!

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Hey Bean! That was some mean shooting! I had to laugh watching your eyes as you were stretching to do that full draw!!!! By the way, do your knuckles drag the ground when you walk??? :rofl: Yeah .... if we all had longer arms, we would all shoot a lot faster ...

Cheers ....... Charles
Talking about longer arms. Is there a length limit on 'starships'? ;)
Glad you asked. Aside from bragging rights, the main purpose of the SSF 300 Club is to explore the limits of what is possible with rubber powered slingshots. The only limitations on equipment are;

1. Rubber power only.

2. 1 gram minimum projectile weight

3. the frame must be held in one hand and the pouch drawn with the other.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Jeeeeeez... now I'm in a race for last place!

Congratulations, Charles, a fine demonstration of how slower can be more powerful.
Interesting to note ... Only one of the speed freaks results would qualify for the power rangers. In slingshot appropriate numbers, higher velocity does not always equate to more energy.

Cheers ..... Charles
Actually there are two, Charles. Bill Hays and Timdx both qualified for Power Rangers in the Speed Freaks Club with 20+ lb/ft at over 300 fps. Bill did it with a 400+ shot. Easy to miss, though.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
I just noticed that my balls are bigger than Henry's, but Henry's weigh more :p ( i won't say it lol), mistake maybe? Bullseyeben 22.2 lb/ft 30.16 joules 266.8 (.454cal/11.5mm lead -140 gr/9.1 gm) Bill Hays 21.1 lb/ft 28.6 joules 419.5 fps (.33cal/8.4mm lead -54 gr/3.5 gm) Henry in Panama 20.61 lb/ft 27.94 joules 218.4 fps (.45 cal/11.43mm lead bullet -194 grains/12.57) ? I am going to re stock next.few days on more .454 and hopefully some .50 too so I hope to get a weight confirmation then to clear the fog.. in the mean time i got a 270 plus today with the .454 lead black powder balls with.a lighter/ longer draw ...vid up soon.. cheers all
Nope, no mistake. Mine aren't balls, they are solid lead pointy bullets, and I weighed them. Here is a grainy picture. The one on the left is a .50 ball. On the right is my .45 bullet. :)

Food Fashion accessory Fruit Circle Metal

Attachments