Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,652 Posts
Well I finally decided to get off my butt and enter this competition. My average velocity was 247 fps and an average fpe of 34.3.

The slingshot I was using was a holy fork with 24 cm long active band length, 1.5 cm tapered to 1 cm thera band gold. The ammo was 5/8" steel weighing 253.24 grain. I set up the chrony using Mjs tutorial, and was 180" away from my target. My draw length was around 36". The pouch was constructed out of a work glove that was very thin but strong leather.

I hope I answered everything correctly and followed the rules properly.

Cheers BC-Slinger :king:

1,652 Posts
Where do you get steel ball bearings that big? If I orderd them I would have to get them out of state, I hate shipping from out of state.
I ordered mine from Simple Shot I have not found a local supplier yet myself.

1,652 Posts
I have no problem doing it again but may take a little while to get a box to setup paper like that....

I noticed BillHays did testing without a paper and it worked great. That was with a chrony beside it and I was well BEHIND the line of 15 feet I made the target out to. Is there any reason this is not acepted if it has probven to work. ?

Thanks BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
I will try to duplicate Bill's demonstration when my wife gets home. It has not been accepted because no one came forward and wrote up a tutorial for it, so others could precisely duplicate the conditions.
Thankyou very much Henry. If it turns out it doesnt work as well as MJ'S method I will remake the video sometime after work today.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
Darn!!! I see by looking at the results today, I am the only wimp below 20 fpe ... :violin: :question: :sorry: :bawling:

Cheers ..... Charles
If you do not have any thera band gold i have a bunch I could cut you up some super thin taperd bands with one of my handy little work glove specials. Just give me the word.

1,652 Posts
Hey Matt,

Just let me know when you want to do it, and I will bring over my chrony. We can set it up in the same place you are shooting and try it out. That will give the most accurate reading, and we can also try it against your smart phone set up to see how accurate that is.

Cheers ..... Charles
Thanks alot buddy I will give you a call on my weekend and we can hook up and do a little myth busting. :thumbsup:

1,652 Posts
I still haven't got a good test using my wife's Android. I did get off a few shots this morning, but probably had the setup wrong. The phone readings were all over the map and in wild disagreement with the Chrony. Unfortunately I only had the phone for about 5 minutes. She's off again so maybe tomorrow.
Charles,my brother and myself will be doing some testing with a chrony and the andriod tomorrow as well. We will keep you updated with our findings and should have a updated video to post tomorrow for you.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen after testing similar bands we used before on Charle's 'King Cat' slingshot. We decided to up the anti and use much larger rounds and figured since starships are fair game we decided what the heck. I would say you guys that were sceptical about the smart phone chrony app were right. It doesnt quite read as accurately as the chrony. I would like to see Henry do some further testing and a possibly a video.

Anyway here is my updated entry. The bands are 28 cm long 1.5 cm taper to 1.0cm taper. Slingshot used was a Jack Koehler 'King Cat'. 435 grain steel ball was used unsure on the caliber, Charles may know.

I would just like to thank Charles for coming out today and bringing some huge caliber ammo to play with, and his ever usefull chrony. Extending my reach a foot and a half also helped immensley. Thanks for everything my freind. My video was able to come to be thanks to you.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
Well done fellas, I must say I did think bc was shooting single layer tb gold in the first entry, not 3! That would make a substantial difference, also a longer draw too... well done guys :)
Now I think I need way bigger balls!
Thanks alot Ben. ! It was a really fun afternoon as well as a good film session. So I would say a awesome day. I am looking forward to the Power Rangers getting there signature decal soon in the future. :king:

Thanks again guys for all the helpfull hints and suggestions. This is a super fun club and I look forward to making more videos and hoping to up the bar quite a bit.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
Good job my man. That is some serious power thank goodness that missed you....

1,652 Posts
You are the :king: of office rubber Charles. :bowdown:

1,652 Posts
Wow great slinging Charles. soon you will be in the 30 pounds club . :thumbsup: Yet again very impressive numbers with office rubber.

Long live the :king:

1,652 Posts
:shocked: Charles you took 3rd place my man so awesome... With office rubber to. :bowdown: When my hand heals up from a big pintch cut I got from work I will be trying a few more speed freaks videos then I am coming back for another stab at the power rangers.

1,652 Posts
Great job Henry.! your close to kicking 30 lbs door down. :thumbsup:

Cheers BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
I am down like a clown for that my freind. :naughty: I am going out this weekend to get some of that old thera band gold. Due to me blowing through 10 feet of it fast to bump my speed scores up.

Cheers BC-Slinger

Reactions: Beanflip

1,652 Posts
Awesome Charles.! welcome to the 30 ft-lbs club :headbang: . Yesterday after a little slinging I made the mold for my power rounds and now have the right sized lead to get 80+ pounds. Now it is a matter of getting a strong starship together and making some bands that are hot.

1,652 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen we didnt hit the 80 we wanted today but did manage to work our way up to the 50 FPE club. Thanks to Charles coming out with his King Cat we were able to bump a 691 grain steel ball to 183.4 FPS. We used two layers of thera band gold 35 mm to 15 mm tapered (active length of 32 cm) and a big chunk of old baseball that we find to be rock solid tough.

I have never been one to expect to be the best without a little hard work so I am gonna keep crawling up the ladder here untill I am close to the man to beat at the top.

Hope you all enjoy. Charles,my brother Kyle and myself had a blast doing this today and will for sure have many more videos to come.

Cheers BC Slinger

1,652 Posts
Thanks Bean we had a ton of fun. But still no go on getting my 75 gram monster lead ammo to the speed we really wanna get it to. Those bands Tobse fully butterflied are intence I need to hit the gym more. :)

1,652 Posts
Do you s'pose the "spring action" of the flexing aluminium arm is helping speed? :)

Good job with the big number :thumbsup:
Lol thanks Mj.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
Great job Bean I knew a video was in the making. I was looking forward to it. Great job with those black latex bands I was wondering how latex would do for some serious power. :thumbsup:

Cheers

BC-Slinger

1 - 20 of 25 Posts