Slingshots Forum banner

Power Rangers

80K views 318 replies 34 participants last post by  EllipsisNL 
Here we go!

I hesitated to enter this power-fest because I wanted to have a setup that I could shoot accurately and deliver the pound-footage we're looking for. I've tried shooting butterfly on several occasions and always sucked at it so I didn't want to use something where I would have to draw past my usual anchor. Having huge power without being able to use it is an exercise in "self-gratification", if you know what I mean :naughty:

So with that in mind I rigged up my homemade starship with a set of doubled Theraband silver cut 1"x 3/4" with an 8" inactive length. My anchor point draw with this rig is 48", so I'm really working these bands! Ammo is 5/8" steel weighing 15.44 grams.

There's probably another 10-15fps to be had if I drew and released quicker but shooting 5/8" at 200fps in the house gives me a little pause to make sure everything is right!

Hey Bean! That was some mean shooting! I had to laugh watching your eyes as you were stretching to do that full draw!!!! By the way, do your knuckles drag the ground when you walk??? :rofl: Yeah .... if we all had longer arms, we would all shoot a lot faster ...

Cheers ....... Charles
Talking about longer arms. Is there a length limit on 'starships'? ;)
If you go much longer than +20" you'll probably have trouble loading it. The one I shoot is half the size of my blowgun but packs considerably more wallop!

Hmmm...

I was just playing with the power calculator and if I can get one of those 13/16" steel balls I have up to 180fps then I'm looking at 40 ft/lb.

Looks like I'm gonna need a wider pouch on the 'ship!

-Edit: I put a Rayshot "Rockstar" pouch on the set of bands I was using before on my starship. I stepped out the back door in 25 degree (F) weather and took a shot with the 13/16" ammo. It almost knocked my catchbox off the stand :). Will run it over the chrony at my earliest opportunity.

Ok, here's an "unofficial" entry. I was trying to get my 13/16" (0.8125") steelies moving at 180fps to meet the cutoff for SSFPR but didn't quite get there. I wanted to show you guys anyway :)

Well I finally decided to get off my butt and enter this competition. My average velocity was 247 fps and an average fpe of 34.3.

The slingshot I was using was a holy fork with 24 cm long active band length, 1.5 cm tapered to 1 cm thera band gold. The ammo was 5/8" steel weighing 253.24 grain. I set up the chrony using Mjs tutorial, and was 180" away from my target. My draw length was around 36". The pouch was constructed out of a work glove that was very thin but strong leather.

I hope I answered everything correctly and followed the rules properly.

Cheers BC-Slinger :king:
Good on ya for having a crack at the power club BC! Unfortunately I doubt this an accurate chrony reading given the amo, band cut and draw length.. not in any way am I being critical, or trying to rain on the parade, but I think a 3/8 steel would struggle to hit 250fps with this set up.. keep at it though and do try the paper method for a more accurate result, cheers Ben :)
Yeah. Sorry, man, but there's no way that band setup is going to toss 5/8" steel at almost 250fps.

I found with the smartphone chrony that if I missed the cardboard and hit the back of the catchbox instead (6" difference) it would radically alter the readings. They're pretty sensitive.

I did see Bill's video where he did the test relying on bandslap to get the reading but I remain convinced that the only way to get truly reliable results is to shoot through one paper and into another one.

Well ladies and gentlemen after testing similar bands we used before on Charle's 'King Cat' slingshot. We decided to up the anti and use much larger rounds and figured since starships are fair game we decided what the heck. I would say you guys that were sceptical about the smart phone chrony app were right. It doesnt quite read as accurately as the chrony.
The app has been proven to work fine as long as it's set up properly. A traditional chrony is easier to use, for sure.
Nice job on the big power numbers! :thumbsup:

WOW!!

Now THAT is a "hand cannon"!

What do you think caused the backfire? Please be careful, we would hate to lose you to a 50 lb/ft "RTS" (Return to Sender, what many of us call a backfire).

Fantastic looking slingshot, too!