Slingshots Forum banner
301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Folks! This is my first Power Ranger submission. I hope it earns me something... I hope I did it right.

Slingshot: Natural Crepe Myrtle tree fork

Bands: One Thera-band Gold band per side 1.125" to .75" taper 12 inches long

Pouch: Pig skin about .050" thick

Ammo: 54 cal lead ball .530" by Hornady - 14.45 grams / 223 grains

Calculated Energy Minimum : 26.849 joules (fpe)

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Hi. I posted this same topic under the Speedfreaks thread. It would be nice to know what the best speeds and FPE ( Speedfreaks and Power rangers) are for conventional hand held slingshots as apposed to Starships. Its obvious that there is an advantage to shooting with a Starship as the draw length is so much greater. I dont want to rock the boat but it would be nice if the two were separated so us users of typical slingshots could see where we stand against others using the same type of equipment.
I suppose it would be very time consuming to go through all the current submissions to separate the two unless the moderators already have the details of what type of slingshot was used when the attempt was made.
I do understand where you are coming from. But as you note, it would be very tedious indeed to separate all of this out, and personally, I am unwilling to do so myself. In addition, there are other factors that might affect results as well. For example, some folks used heated bands, but others did not. For another example, some used full butterfly draw, but some did not. And for still another example, some were shooting in ambient temperatures much warmer than others.

Cheers .... Charles
I'm with Charles on this. The purpose of Speed Freaks and Power Rangers was to explore the limits of speed and power. To that end, the only limits on equipment are that the frame be held with one hand and the pouch drawn with the other. I'm satisfied, that for now, the limits are about 80-90 lb/ft and a bit over 500 fps. I don't look for anyone to exceed those numbers until we get some better rubber.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Folks! This is my first Power Ranger submission. I hope it earns me something... I hope I did it right.

Slingshot: Natural Crepe Myrtle tree fork

Bands: One Thera-band Gold band per side 1.125" to .75" taper 12 inches long

Ammo: 54 cal lead ball .530" by Hornady - 14.45 grams / 223 grains

Calculated Energy Minimum : 26.849 joules (fpe)

Sorry Folks,

I failed to mention that my draw length from the fork was 61".

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good job, BS!!! I have put in for your badge for 20 fpe, and I have entered your results in the forum table. Hope to be able to send more badges your way in the future.

Cheers ..... Charles
Sorry Charles, it should be taken back.... I just learned that FPE and Joules are not the same, I thought they were. I just missed it, but I still missed it. I will earn the badge honestly.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
Good job, BS!!! I have put in for your badge for 20 fpe, and I have entered your results in the forum table. Hope to be able to send more badges your way in the future.

Cheers ..... Charles
Sorry Charles, it should be taken back.... I just learned that FPE and Joules are not the same, I thought they were. I just missed it, but I still missed it. I will earn the badge honestly.
Nope ... you earned it honestly. That weight of ammo at that speed comes in at just over 20 fpe. Of course I encourage you to up your score. Personally, I tried this a lot of times with a variety of setups, and was gradually able to do better and better. In my case, I liked the challenge of doing it with office rubber bands.

By the way, here is the on-line calculator that I use for fpe:

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_is_Muzzle_Energy_August_2003/5

Cheers .... Charles

·
Registered
246 Posts

Cheers ..... Charles
Nope ... you earned it honestly. That weight of ammo at that speed comes in at just over 20 fpe. Of course I encourage you to up your score. Personally, I tried this a lot of times with a variety of setups, and was gradually able to do better and better. In my case, I liked the challenge of doing it with office rubber bands.

Cheers .... Charles
Thank you Charles. I was under the impression that the lowest measurement was the one used. I guess I was wrong about that.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts

Cheers ..... Charles

Cheers .... Charles
Thank you Charles. I was under the impression that the lowest measurement was the one used. I guess I was wrong about that.
Nahhhh ... we want to give you the best possible score on this one. The requirement is that it must not be a "one-off". You have to do a couple within 10% of each other. The calculation is based on your highest velocity.

Cheers .... Charles

·
Registered
246 Posts
Submission for 25 fpe badge.

Slingshot: Hand Crafted Mahogany Fork (The Mahogany Mangler by your's truly) :naughty:

Bands: Four .010" latex bands per side 1" to .75" taper 12 inches long

Ammo: 5/8" steel ball - 16.4 grams / 253.0 grains

Measured Velocites (fps) : 205.9 / 211.1 / 207.4

Best Velocity : 211.1 fps

Calculated Energy Max : 25 fpe

Many Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,659 Posts
I guess I forgot to put this video on here... anyway it's for the 80 fpe badge.
900 grain lead balls moving in excess of 200 fps = kapow!
Nice job Bill 902gr/ 203.2 fps can clearly be seen by me after the 203.2fps was magnified 🤪
But...
I couldn't find the 80fps badge when I gathered them all up. So I guess we'll have to work on it 😀
Plus we'll wait for
@Charles
@Henry the Hermit

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Monochrome photography

301 - 312 of 312 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.