Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 60 of 319 Posts
Note to Henry: I see you have changed my standing in the summary as follows:

Charles 18.86 lb/ft 25.57 joules 210.4 fps (BP lead bullets - 232 grains/15 gm)

I only wish I was shooting at 210.4 fps with those heavy slugs ... actually the top speed was only 191.3 fps. I will let you edit the entry.

Cheers ..... Charles

Jeeeeeez... now I'm in a race for last place!

Congratulations, Charles, a fine demonstration of how slower can be more powerful.
Interesting to note ... Only one of the speed freaks results would qualify for the power rangers. In slingshot appropriate numbers, higher velocity does not always equate to more energy.

Cheers ..... Charles

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Jeeeeeez... now I'm in a race for last place!

Congratulations, Charles, a fine demonstration of how slower can be more powerful.
Interesting to note ... Only one of the speed freaks results would qualify for the power rangers. In slingshot appropriate numbers, higher velocity does not always equate to more energy.

Cheers ..... Charles
Actually there are two, Charles. Bill Hays and Timdx both qualified for Power Rangers in the Speed Freaks Club with 20+ lb/ft at over 300 fps. Bill did it with a 400+ shot. Easy to miss, though.

Enjoy not being last while you can, Charles. I just shot 19.66 lb/t - 213 fps with some 194 grain .45 cal bullets that I cast for my Colt 1861 Army. Now to set up the camera. I'm going for 20+. :)
ARRRGGGHHH!!! Just when I thought I could relax for a while! Go Henry! I am going to have to hustle to get into the 20 fpe range .... :help: :wacko:

We should have a new category .... fpe x age ... give us old guys a fighting chance!

Cheers ...... Charles

Hmmm...

I was just playing with the power calculator and if I can get one of those 13/16" steel balls I have up to 180fps then I'm looking at 40 ft/lb.

Looks like I'm gonna need a wider pouch on the 'ship!

-Edit: I put a Rayshot "Rockstar" pouch on the set of bands I was using before on my starship. I stepped out the back door in 25 degree (F) weather and took a shot with the 13/16" ammo. It almost knocked my catchbox off the stand :). Will run it over the chrony at my earliest opportunity.

Hmmm...

I was just playing with the power calculator and if I can get one of those 13/16" steel balls I have up to 180fps then I'm looking at 40 ft/lb.

Looks like I'm gonna need a wider pouch on the 'ship!

-Edit: I put a Rayshot "Rockstar" pouch on the set of bands I was using before on my starship. I stepped out the back door in 25 degree (F) weather and took a shot with the 13/16" ammo. It almost knocked my catchbox off the stand :). Will run it over the chrony at my earliest opportunity.
Yep MJ ... you got the right idea. You will get the most power by shooting the heaviest ammo you can propel at just over 180 fps ... 180 is the cut-off for Power Rangers.

Cheers ....... Charles

DERN! Now there's one more in front of me!!!! Congratulations, MJ!

I may have to resort to what some of those old Brits used to do in Africa. When shooting those huge bore black powder rifles with AWFUL kick, they would get some poor black porter to put it to his shoulder while they aimed and fired!!! Now Henry, I note that you said the slingshot has to be held and fired by hand .... but you did not say whose hand had to do the holding and whose had to do the firing. Sooo, maybe if I use both hands to hold the blasted thing and get some young buck with strong hands to pull it back ...... :blink:

Cheers ..... Charles

I just noticed that my balls are bigger than Henry's, but Henry's weigh more :p ( i won't say it lol), mistake maybe?
Bullseyeben 22.2 lb/ft 30.16 joules 266.8 (.454cal/11.5mm lead -140 gr/9.1 gm) Bill Hays 21.1 lb/ft 28.6 joules 419.5 fps (.33cal/8.4mm lead -54 gr/3.5 gm) Henry in Panama 20.61 lb/ft 27.94 joules 218.4 fps (.45 cal/11.43mm lead bullet -194 grains/12.57)
?
I am going to re stock next.few days on more .454 and hopefully some .50 too so I hope to get a weight confirmation then to clear the fog.. in the mean time i got a 270 plus today with the .454 lead black powder balls with.a lighter/ longer draw ...vid up soon.. cheers all

Ok, here's an "unofficial" entry. I was trying to get my 13/16" (0.8125") steelies moving at 180fps to meet the cutoff for SSFPR but didn't quite get there. I wanted to show you guys anyway :)

Discussion starter · #60 ·
I just noticed that my balls are bigger than Henry's, but Henry's weigh more :p ( i won't say it lol), mistake maybe? Bullseyeben 22.2 lb/ft 30.16 joules 266.8 (.454cal/11.5mm lead -140 gr/9.1 gm) Bill Hays 21.1 lb/ft 28.6 joules 419.5 fps (.33cal/8.4mm lead -54 gr/3.5 gm) Henry in Panama 20.61 lb/ft 27.94 joules 218.4 fps (.45 cal/11.43mm lead bullet -194 grains/12.57) ? I am going to re stock next.few days on more .454 and hopefully some .50 too so I hope to get a weight confirmation then to clear the fog.. in the mean time i got a 270 plus today with the .454 lead black powder balls with.a lighter/ longer draw ...vid up soon.. cheers all
Nope, no mistake. Mine aren't balls, they are solid lead pointy bullets, and I weighed them. Here is a grainy picture. The one on the left is a .50 ball. On the right is my .45 bullet. :)

Food Fashion accessory Fruit Circle Metal

Attachments

41 - 60 of 319 Posts