Slingshots Forum banner
61 - 80 of 314 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Way to go, Popedandy! No sweat on those early errors. It takes a little experience to figure out just where the ammo has to go.

Looks like there are now 3 of us that will have to arm wrestle for last place!

Cheers ...... Charles

· Registered
2,270 Posts
I just noticed that my balls are bigger than Henry's, but Henry's weigh more :p ( i won't say it lol), mistake maybe? Bullseyeben 22.2 lb/ft 30.16 joules 266.8 (.454cal/11.5mm lead -140 gr/9.1 gm) Bill Hays 21.1 lb/ft 28.6 joules 419.5 fps (.33cal/8.4mm lead -54 gr/3.5 gm) Henry in Panama 20.61 lb/ft 27.94 joules 218.4 fps (.45 cal/11.43mm lead bullet -194 grains/12.57) ? I am going to re stock next.few days on more .454 and hopefully some .50 too so I hope to get a weight confirmation then to clear the fog.. in the mean time i got a 270 plus today with the .454 lead black powder balls with.a lighter/ longer draw ...vid up soon.. cheers all
Nope, no mistake. Mine aren't balls, they are solid lead pointy bullets, and I weighed them. Here is a grainy picture. The one on the left is a .50 ball. On the right is my .45 bullet. :)

[img=[URL=http://d1jbh04gm6ogzc.cloudfront.net/public/style_images/tctc91_glare/attachicon.gif%5D]http://d1jbh04gm6ogzc.cloudfront.net/public/style_images/tctc91_glare/attachicon.gif][/URL] http://slingshotforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=30434]bullet.jpg[/quote]
Well that would make sense... thanks for the clarification.. I prob should pay more attention to the initial post lol.. and maybe create an digital scale app for the smart phone too :p cheers

· Registered
243 Posts
Bumping my numbers up just a little.

Slingshot: 1x3" oak board with coat hooks for the forks and a pistol grip I took off of a wrist braced slingshot

Bands: Double Theraband gold, 9" tie-to-tie, 3/4" to 1/2" taper. No idea what the draw length was.

Ammo: 320 grain 50 caliber Thompson/Center Maxi-Ball

Max velocity: 182.8 fps

Energy: 23.73 ft/lbs

Backup shots: 180.0 fps - 23.01 ft/lbs, 180.4 fps - 23.11 ft/lbs

Calculations courtesy of http://www.firearmexpertwitness.com/customguns/calcnrg.html

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
I started the day out with a similar set of double TBGs on a regular hammer grip slingshot and was running in the 165-170 fps range. I switched to double .040 latex with a 1" to 1/2" taper and the results were slightly slower. I don't know if I gave it too much taper or what - I guess I need to start studying up on band setups. Next I took one of the latex bands off and was running single .040 latex with the heavy taper. Performance wasn't particularly impressive. I switched the latex to the junkyard starship to get some more length on the draw and got some improvement on the numbers, but not much better than the double TBG. After the latex tore, I put my last set of double TBG bands on the starship. Some tinkering with the bands and perhaps some lighter ammo should yield some better numbers. It will be a fun project to work on.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
All right, folks. I thought I would try to make the Power Rangers with rubber bands. I was using Rubberbandguns #32 red rubber bands.

http://www.rubberbandguns.com/ammunition/ammunition-size-32-red

I braided them, from pouch to fork, in a 22223333 configuration. Note that when braiding, each rubber band is doubled in the middle. I first tried it on my mutant ninja, but my poor hands and shoulder would not let me take a decent draw on it. So I put some tabs on my King Cat and rigged the bands on that. The slack length was about 7.5 inches, and I was drawing at about 45 inches. It was windy and cool here today, but at least it was not raining. Sorry for the poor audio quality ... I positioned the camera too far away.

I see I miscalled some of the figures. I lubricated the bands with baby powder, and on my first shot the pouch slipped out of my hand because of all the powder. You can see the powder flying off at each shot ... or was that because my shooting was so smoking hot??? :rofl: So here are the relevant velocities:

My best velocity was 181.4 fps. I was shooting those old black powder slugs which weigh 232 grains. That gave me 16.9558 fpe, so just call it 17 fpe. That just goes to show that you can qualify for the Power Rangers with office rubber bands!! Some of you young guys without arthritis and good arm strength could do a lot better. Note that this was more power than I got with my Combow Sling shooting .50 caliber lead balls.

And what about that pouch??? So much for that wimpy a$$ kangaroo leather!

Well, I did not up my standing, but nobody else so far has qualified with office rubber bands! :naughty:

Cheers ........ Charles

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
All right, everyone ... I just used Alliance Sterling #107 rubber bands to fire a 175 grain lead ball at 204.7 fps, giving me 16.3 fpe. I always said those bands may not be the fastest in the world, but they could carry weight! Video is loading onto Youtube as I type. Will post it when it is ready.

Cheers .... Charles

Well, the video loaded, and here it is:

The velocities were, in fps: 190.3, 204.7,198.4,199.6,197.3, and 202.9

The bands were just Alliance Sterling #107 office rubber bands. As you can see in the video, I put an extension on my King Cat because I was having trouble with my shoulder and my hand and could not draw back far enough. With the extension I had a draw length of 56 inches. The slack band length, fork to pouch tie, was 12 inches. I was shooting lead balls that weighed 175 grains on my scale. I decided not to fool with that kangaroo leather again, but instead I used a decent cow leather pouch that I would use for hunting. At my maximum veloicty, I was getting 16.3 fpe.

Again, this does not increase my standing with the Power Rangers. But it does show that you can qualify for the Power Rangers with office bands. I put an extension on the front of my King Cat to compensate for my physical limitations. But you young guys should be able to draw these bands out to full butterfly at 60 inches or so and do even better.

Cheers ...... Charles

· The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,652 Posts
Well I finally decided to get off my butt and enter this competition. My average velocity was 247 fps and an average fpe of 34.3.

The slingshot I was using was a holy fork with 24 cm long active band length, 1.5 cm tapered to 1 cm thera band gold. The ammo was 5/8" steel weighing 253.24 grain. I set up the chrony using Mjs tutorial, and was 180" away from my target. My draw length was around 36". The pouch was constructed out of a work glove that was very thin but strong leather.

I hope I answered everything correctly and followed the rules properly.

Cheers BC-Slinger :king:

· The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,652 Posts
Where do you get steel ball bearings that big? If I orderd them I would have to get them out of state, I hate shipping from out of state.
I ordered mine from Simple Shot I have not found a local supplier yet myself.

· Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Great display of power, and I have no doubts about this qualifying for Power Rangers, but I will ask you to repeat the tests using paper as the sound producer for the shot. The problem with using the sound of the bands as the triggering event is that the ball has already left or is leaving the pouch, and that puts the sound event several inches closer to the target, which increases the measured speed. By using a stand supported piece of paper, the distance from 1st sound event to target is consistent. Please review M_J's tutorial.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/21084-smartphone-chrony-setup-tutorial/

61 - 80 of 314 Posts