Slingshots Forum banner
81 - 100 of 314 Posts

· The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,652 Posts
I have no problem doing it again but may take a little while to get a box to setup paper like that....

I noticed BillHays did testing without a paper and it worked great. That was with a chrony beside it and I was well BEHIND the line of 15 feet I made the target out to. Is there any reason this is not acepted if it has probven to work. ?

Thanks BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
I will try to duplicate Bill's demonstration when my wife gets home. It has not been accepted because no one came forward and wrote up a tutorial for it, so others could precisely duplicate the conditions.
Thankyou very much Henry. If it turns out it doesnt work as well as MJ'S method I will remake the video sometime after work today.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

· Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I will try to duplicate Bill's demonstration when my wife gets home. It has not been accepted because no one came forward and wrote up a tutorial for it, so others could precisely duplicate the conditions.
Thankyou very much Henry. If it turns out it doesnt work as well as MJ'S method I will remake the video sometime after work today.

Cheers

BC-Slinger
There's no rush. I may not be able to try it until tomorrow. In the meantime, your accomplishment is on the rolls.

1,652 Posts
Darn!!! I see by looking at the results today, I am the only wimp below 20 fpe ... :violin: :question: :sorry: :bawling:

Cheers ..... Charles
If you do not have any thera band gold i have a bunch I could cut you up some super thin taperd bands with one of my handy little work glove specials. Just give me the word.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Darn!!! I see by looking at the results today, I am the only wimp below 20 fpe ... :violin: :question: :sorry: :bawling:

Cheers ..... Charles
If you do not have any thera band gold i have a bunch I could cut you up some super thin taperd bands with one of my handy little work glove specials. Just give me the word.
A sincere thanks for the offer. But I do have TBG on hand. Just trying to get the most out of minimal equipment.

Get Kyle into the action!

Cheers ..... Charles

· Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts

Cheers ..... Charles
I think anybody over 70 should get a multiplier of 3. :)
How about anybody over 68?????

Cheers ..... Charles
What? Listen, you young whippersnapper, you should be shooting 30 lb/ft. Quit malingering! :rofl:
Ahhh, Henry .... I should have known I would not get any sympathy ....

Cheers ..... Charles

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Well I finally decided to get off my butt and enter this competition. My average velocity was 247 fps and an average fpe of 34.3.

The slingshot I was using was a holy fork with 24 cm long active band length, 1.5 cm tapered to 1 cm thera band gold. The ammo was 5/8" steel weighing 253.24 grain. I set up the chrony using Mjs tutorial, and was 180" away from my target. My draw length was around 36". The pouch was constructed out of a work glove that was very thin but strong leather.

I hope I answered everything correctly and followed the rules properly.

Cheers BC-Slinger :king:
Good on ya for having a crack at the power club BC! Unfortunately I doubt this an accurate chrony reading given the amo, band cut and draw length.. not in any way am I being critical, or trying to rain on the parade, but I think a 3/8 steel would struggle to hit 250fps with this set up.. keep at it though and do try the paper method for a more accurate result, cheers Ben :)

Reactions: M.J

· Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Well I finally decided to get off my butt and enter this competition. My average velocity was 247 fps and an average fpe of 34.3.

The slingshot I was using was a holy fork with 24 cm long active band length, 1.5 cm tapered to 1 cm thera band gold. The ammo was 5/8" steel weighing 253.24 grain. I set up the chrony using Mjs tutorial, and was 180" away from my target. My draw length was around 36". The pouch was constructed out of a work glove that was very thin but strong leather.

I hope I answered everything correctly and followed the rules properly.

Cheers BC-Slinger :king:
Good on ya for having a crack at the power club BC! Unfortunately I doubt this an accurate chrony reading given the amo, band cut and draw length.. not in any way am I being critical, or trying to rain on the parade, but I think a 3/8 steel would struggle to hit 250fps with this set up.. keep at it though and do try the paper method for a more accurate result, cheers Ben :)
Yeah. Sorry, man, but there's no way that band setup is going to toss 5/8" steel at almost 250fps.

I found with the smartphone chrony that if I missed the cardboard and hit the back of the catchbox instead (6" difference) it would radically alter the readings. They're pretty sensitive.

I did see Bill's video where he did the test relying on bandslap to get the reading but I remain convinced that the only way to get truly reliable results is to shoot through one paper and into another one.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Hey Matt,

Just let me know when you want to do it, and I will bring over my chrony. We can set it up in the same place you are shooting and try it out. That will give the most accurate reading, and we can also try it against your smart phone set up to see how accurate that is.

Cheers ..... Charles

1,652 Posts
Hey Matt,

Just let me know when you want to do it, and I will bring over my chrony. We can set it up in the same place you are shooting and try it out. That will give the most accurate reading, and we can also try it against your smart phone set up to see how accurate that is.

Cheers ..... Charles
Thanks alot buddy I will give you a call on my weekend and we can hook up and do a little myth busting. :thumbsup:

1,652 Posts
I still haven't got a good test using my wife's Android. I did get off a few shots this morning, but probably had the setup wrong. The phone readings were all over the map and in wild disagreement with the Chrony. Unfortunately I only had the phone for about 5 minutes. She's off again so maybe tomorrow.
Charles,my brother and myself will be doing some testing with a chrony and the andriod tomorrow as well. We will keep you updated with our findings and should have a updated video to post tomorrow for you.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

G

·
Slingshot Dogwood Natural
Bands Latex Magnums, I think they were made by Tex. They are two latex bands tapered with a pouch that has a formed pocket. I got them in a trade. They are quite nice.
Drawlength is about 42"
Active length is about 7"
Projectile is 0.495 cast lead.

Best speed was 214 to yield about 18 ft/lb.

Video link:

81 - 100 of 314 Posts