Slingshots Forum banner
101 - 120 of 314 Posts

· The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,652 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen after testing similar bands we used before on Charle's 'King Cat' slingshot. We decided to up the anti and use much larger rounds and figured since starships are fair game we decided what the heck. I would say you guys that were sceptical about the smart phone chrony app were right. It doesnt quite read as accurately as the chrony. I would like to see Henry do some further testing and a possibly a video.

Anyway here is my updated entry. The bands are 28 cm long 1.5 cm taper to 1.0cm taper. Slingshot used was a Jack Koehler 'King Cat'. 435 grain steel ball was used unsure on the caliber, Charles may know.

I would just like to thank Charles for coming out today and bringing some huge caliber ammo to play with, and his ever usefull chrony. Extending my reach a foot and a half also helped immensley. Thanks for everything my freind. My video was able to come to be thanks to you.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

· Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
Just spent an enjoyable afternoon with Matt and Kyle. Took my Chrony and a bunch of various weights of steel balls, along with my scale. The boys were getting some awesome power ... well over 35 fpe. Yep, we filmed several of the sessions, and they will be posted later.

UPDATE: Those guys were quick off the mark!!! See their post immediately above. Matt was shooting steel balls that weighed 435 grains on my scale.So that was a maximum velocity of 191.5 fps, which gives an energy of 35.43 fpe, 48.04 joules.

We were shooting in Matt's unheated basement, and the bands were not heated before shooting. Because Matt is not very tall, I put his bands on my extended King Cat so he could get a good long draw.

While we were at it, we did shoot some ammo weighing over 600 grains, but could not get it up to 180 fps. Still, when those big boys hit that backstop, it was frightening!

Congratulations guys!!!

Cheers ..... Charles

· Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
I was just reading over the posts by BC_Slinger. I think one thing that might be causing some confusion in some circles about the power of Matt' s setup is that he is shooting 3 layers of TBG, each of the length and tapered as he has indicated. I can personally testify that with each band consisting of 3 layers of TBG, there is plenty of power, just as indicated by the Chrony.

Cheers ..... Charles

· Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen after testing similar bands we used before on Charle's 'King Cat' slingshot. We decided to up the anti and use much larger rounds and figured since starships are fair game we decided what the heck. I would say you guys that were sceptical about the smart phone chrony app were right. It doesnt quite read as accurately as the chrony.
The app has been proven to work fine as long as it's set up properly. A traditional chrony is easier to use, for sure.
Nice job on the big power numbers! :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Well done fellas, I must say I did think bc was shooting single layer tb gold in the first entry, not 3! That would make a substantial difference, also a longer draw too... well done guys :)
Now I think I need way bigger balls!

· The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,652 Posts
Well done fellas, I must say I did think bc was shooting single layer tb gold in the first entry, not 3! That would make a substantial difference, also a longer draw too... well done guys :)
Now I think I need way bigger balls!
Thanks alot Ben. ! It was a really fun afternoon as well as a good film session. So I would say a awesome day. I am looking forward to the Power Rangers getting there signature decal soon in the future. :king:

Thanks again guys for all the helpfull hints and suggestions. This is a super fun club and I look forward to making more videos and hoping to up the bar quite a bit.

Cheers

BC-Slinger

· Fistgrip shooter
410 Posts
Great show guys!

i made a high performance shooter from a root i dug out of the earth. Maybe this one will be good for this topic ? :D

Attachments

· Fistgrip shooter
410 Posts
Ok, i make a vid for you guys :)

but this time i wanna made it a little bit different to the other two chrony vids with power bands i made so far.

i want shot "aimed shots" over the chrony, this means they are most likely not so fast because i don´t push the speed up with shooting technique.

but they are more efficient and not so dangerous.

101 - 120 of 314 Posts