Slingshots Forum banner
141 - 160 of 314 Posts

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Sorry, guys. I just couldn't resist having another go at it. Henry is trying to beat me to 30 fpe ... and he may yet do it. I found some of my old .58 caliber cast lead slugs from my black powder days. They weigh in at 362 grains. Once again, I was shooting with my extended King Cat, using Alliance Sterling 107 bands, half doubled. Here are the specs:

Frame: extended King Cat

Bands: Alliance Sterling 107s, half doubled

Band length: 12.5 inches fork to pouch tie

Draw length: about 52 inches

Ammo: 362 grain cast lead slug (weighed on my digital scale)

Top 3 velocities: 186.3, 187.7, 189.1 all in fps

Energy at top velocity: 28.75 fpe, 38.98 joules

And here is the video:

So, I did not hit 30 fpe. I am pretty close to the maximum for this band set up. Maybe on a good warm day with a quick draw and release, fresh shoulders and hands, just maybe I could get it with this set up. But I think I really need to try something else in order to get that 30 fpe. Gotta stay ahead of Henry!!! :naughty:

Cheers ..... Charles

· The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,652 Posts
:shocked: Charles you took 3rd place my man so awesome... With office rubber to. :bowdown: When my hand heals up from a big pintch cut I got from work I will be trying a few more speed freaks videos then I am coming back for another stab at the power rangers.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
:shocked: Charles you took 3rd place my man so awesome... With office rubber to. :bowdown: When my hand heals up from a big pintch cut I got from work I will be trying a few more speed freaks videos then I am coming back for another stab at the power rangers.
Thanks, Matt. Be sure to let that hand heal. Work is the curse of the slingshot class!!!

I have another few things to try, but I am busy with visitors at the moment ... gonna try to bump you for second place .... :stickpoke: :)

Cheers ........ Charles

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Can't wait to see it, Henry. I am sure a triple layer of TBG will do it .... I watched Mat's triple layer performance, and it was really smoking. I still want to try to make it with 107 bands, but not sure I will have the time tomorrow.

Cheers ..... Charles

I'm hot on your trail, Charles. I've got some cut down bank sinkers that weigh 306 grains and I only need 211 fps to hit 30 fpe. I got 199.2 late this afternoon with double layer TBG. Tomorrow I'm going to gin up a triple layer set.

· Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
I didn't make it Charles. At least not yet. Because of the way my "scrap" TBG is cut, it was easier to go 4 layer than 3, so that's what I did. I'm pretty sure this rig is capable of 30 lb/ft, but I need some new muscles. BTW, the reported 192 fps yesterday was a brain slip. Anyway;

Frame: - La Cholita's Mama

Bands/tubes - 4 layer Theraband Gold 3/4 to 3/8 inch taper, 7 1/2 inches pull. Jim Harris (Performance Catapults) pouch

Ammo - 7/8 oz bank sinker, measured weight 306.6 grains/12.25 grams

FPE - 26.89 lb/ft 36.45 joules

Velocity - 198.7 fps

1,652 Posts
Great job Henry.! your close to kicking 30 lbs door down. :thumbsup:

Cheers BC-Slinger

1,652 Posts
I am down like a clown for that my freind. :naughty: I am going out this weekend to get some of that old thera band gold. Due to me blowing through 10 feet of it fast to bump my speed scores up.

Cheers BC-Slinger

Reactions: Beanflip

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Hey Henry,

You actually did a bit better than you think. Your highest velocity was 198.7 fps (not 197.2). With 306.6 grain ammo, that gives you 26.89 fpe = 36.45 joules.

Well, I am still in front of you, but I hear the patter of your footsteps very close behind me!!!! I hope to get back at it soon.

Cheers ..... Charles

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
O.K. Henry ... I beat you to it!!!! :neener:

Here are the specs:

Frame: extended King Cat

Bands: Alliance Sterling 107s, half doubled, AND tapered by perforation

Band length: 12.5 inches fork to pouch tie

Draw length: about 52 inches

Ammo: 362 grain cast lead slug (weighed on my digital scale)

Top 3 velocities: 196.3, 196.0, 193.1, all in fps

Energy at top velocity:30.98 fpe, 42.01 joules

I tested taper by perforation some time ago and was reasonably impressed by the results.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/10911-taper-by-perforation/

So it was a last ditch effort to hit 30 fpe with these Alliance bands. You can see on the video that I did not think I had made it, but it seems I just squeaked over the line. If I had just slightly heavier ammo, I could probably get even higher energy at just over 180 fps. But, I think that is about all I can do with these Alliance bands. It was fun seeing how far I could push them. The video is loading, and I will post it when it is ready.

Cheers ..... Charles

1,652 Posts
Awesome Charles.! welcome to the 30 ft-lbs club :headbang: . Yesterday after a little slinging I made the mold for my power rounds and now have the right sized lead to get 80+ pounds. Now it is a matter of getting a strong starship together and making some bands that are hot.

· Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
The video is loading, and I will post it when it is ready.

Cheers ..... Charles
So, all I have to do is get out in the back yard, hit 30 lb/ft and post it before yours finishes uploading. :)

Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment, especially considering the 107s.

G

·
Very impressive also liked the brilliant out of the box thinking WRT the tapering of the bands, you should patent that before someone else does.

It is called a methods patent and you never know what industry it might impact.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Very impressive also liked the brilliant out of the box thinking WRT the tapering of the bands, you should patent that before someone else does.

It is called a methods patent and you never know what industry it might impact.
Thanks for the kind words! As for patents ... well, as long as I don't patent it, no one else can, since I can prove priority. I would rather share the technique than prevent anyone else from using it. As with most attempts to increase speed, band life deteriorates as speed increases.

Cheers ..... Charles

141 - 160 of 314 Posts