Slingshots Forum banner

Power Rangers

80K views 318 replies 34 participants last post by  EllipsisNL 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do you enjoy shooting heavy pull slingshots with lots of power? Like to bust things up? This is the Club for you.

Here's how to become a Power Ranger.

• Find a bandset/ammo combination that will produce at least 180 feet (54.86 meters) per second or higher velocity and 15 lb/ft (20.4 joules)
  • Make a video similar to the one in the next post.
  • You and the Chrony should be visible when the shots are made. After each shot, either zoom to the Chrony readout or move the camera close enough to see the readout, keeping the Chrony in view at all times. The most powerful shot must be backed up by at least one other shot within 5% of the same power. Please do not edit the video at any point between the first and last shot. It's OK to shoot a lot of shots and remove from each end, but the qualifying shots should be continuous.
  • Post the video and full information about the fork, bandset, and ammo. The same information about the ammo as above must be included. Include the dimensions, width, taper, relaxed length (fork to pouch tie), and pouch. Give the size and type of round ball. If you use any ammo other than round ball steel or lead, you must weigh the ammo. Use scales with an accuracy of .01% or better. Also state your approximate draw length.
  • The frame may be any form, but rubber must be drawn with one hand only. There are no restrictions on ammo weight.

The Android app "Chrono Connect" has been approved for both Speed Freaks and Power Rangers. To qualify for either Speed Freaks or Power Rangers with this app, please review and follow this tutorial.

http://slingshotforu...setup-tutorial/

The video must show your setup, including measurements from 1st sound producer to target. The 1st sound producer should be far enough from the slingshot that the pouch does not strike the sound producer. The distance from 1st sound producer to target must be entered into Chrono Connect precisely as measured and that distance must be at least 192 inches. Sound sensitivity of the app should be set to the lowest setting which will produce results. It is very important to follow the tutorial and these instructions exactly, as any deviation can result in erratic readings. Setups which do not conform to the tutorial will not be considered for qualification.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm adding my instructional video and first entry for Power Rangers here to keep it as close to the top as possible. Please excuse the sniffing. I have some allergies working on me right now.

Frame: - Cashew Fork Ringshooter

Bands/tubes - looped Dankung 2040 tubes, 7 inches pull. Jim Harris (Performance Catapults) pouch

Ammo - .495 cal lead ball, measured weight 172 grains/11.2 grams

FPE - 16.8 lb/ft 22.78 joules

Velocity - 209.5 fps

#4 ·
I just used my CombowSling to fire .50 lead ball, weighing 170 grains, at 210.4 fps. By my calculations, that comes in at 16.7 fpe. Whew! Looks like I get to play with the big boys. Video is loading onto Youtube ... will post the link as soon as Youtube says it is ready.

Now, where are those stinking badges????? :headbang:

Cheers ...... Charles

#6 ·
All right, here is my video:

CombowSling

band length: 9.5 inches

slack length: maybe 1 inch at most

band material: some sort of latex tube ... came on this wonderful device

pouch: heavy, but flexible cow hide, 3 1/4 x 7/8 inches

my draw length with this setup: 42-43 inches

ammo: about .50 caliber lead ball, weighed on my digital scale at 170+ grains (cast with buckshot mold)

maximum velocity: 210.4 fps

measured velocities: 210.4, 206.5, 201.6, 203.1 all within 5% of each other

energy by my calculation: 16.7 fpe

Cheers ....... Charles

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I figure some of the younger, stronger guys are going to be showing us Old Geezers 50+ lb/ft in short order. Tobias has already shown us 80 lb/ft (100+ joules) and it won't be a big deal for him to repeat it. I see some exciting times ahead.

I want to caution everyone about the dangers at high power levels. A pocket pistol shooting .25 ACP generates about 65 lb/ft of muzzle energy. I think everyone will agree that a .25 ACP pistol is capable of killing, so if you are strong enough to pull a slingshot that can generate 50+ lb/ft, treat it with the same respect you would a handgun. Protect your fork holding hand and make sure your backstop will not cause ricochets. And get some good shooting glasses.

#9 ·
I figure some of the younger, stronger guys are going to be showing us Old Geezers 50+ lb/ft in short order. Tobias has already shown us 80 lb/ft (100+ joules) and it won't be a big deal for him to repeat it. I see some exciting times ahead.

I want to caution everyone about the dangers at high power levels. A pocket pistol shooting .25 ACP generates about 65 lb/ft of muzzle energy. I think everyone will agree that a .25 ACP pistol is capable of killing, so if you are strong enough to pull a slingshot that can generate 50+ lb/ft, treat it with the same respect you would a handgun. Protect your fork holding hand and make sure your backstop will not cause ricochets. And get some good shooting glasses.
Hey Henry,

Yep on the comment about the younger crowd. I figured I had better get my oar into the water before the young turks completely swamp us!

And right on about the caution. Catching a .50 lead ball moving at over 200 fps is guaranteed to make you feel worse than uncomfortable ...

Cheers ..... Charles

#10 ·
Nice job guys!
Charles, there's a chance you may have been shooting faster than you think, I noticed you shot through the chrony in a downwards direction, that creates a longer journey in between sensors for the ball.. just a guess but 220 may possible with a flat shot..?! Cheers

#12 ·
Nice job guys! Charles, there's a chance you may have been shooting faster than you think, I noticed you shot through the chrony in a downwards direction, that creates a longer journey in between sensors for the ball.. just a guess but 220 may possible with a flat shot..?! Cheers
Thanks, Ben. I probably was shooting a bit downward. I was still hitting my backstop up near the top. I tried to compensate by taking a really wide stance, but that was only partially successful. I was too lazy to get out a card table to raise my backstop up. I have some hopes of trying for a higher energy at a later date. But for now, I was just thankful to clear that first hurdle.

Now me lad, you have already done some outrageous performances. Time for you to give us all something to shoot for. Your temperatures down under ought to be conducive to some really high velocities this time of year.

Cheers ..... Charles[/quote]

Either way Charles good results :)
Don't worry ill be putting in a few shots soon, unfortunately I'm all out of tb gold, so ill have to see what I can do with a heavy silver cut.. then again I do have some tubes just sitting there.. ( what? Me using tubes... that's un heared of lol)
Actually the weather has been quite mild lately, low mid 20c deg, so I won't have a great advantage there.. see how we go ;)

#11 ·
Nice job guys! Charles, there's a chance you may have been shooting faster than you think, I noticed you shot through the chrony in a downwards direction, that creates a longer journey in between sensors for the ball.. just a guess but 220 may possible with a flat shot..?! Cheers
Thanks, Ben. I probably was shooting a bit downward. I was still hitting my backstop up near the top. I tried to compensate by taking a really wide stance, but that was only partially successful. I was too lazy to get out a card table to raise my backstop up. I have some hopes of trying for a higher energy at a later date. But for now, I was just thankful to clear that first hurdle.

Now me lad, you have already done some outrageous performances. Time for you to give us all something to shoot for. Your temperatures down under ought to be conducive to some really high velocities this time of year.

Cheers ..... Charles

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just had to break out my rusty algebra skills. With 44 cal lead (if all is correct) I would need at least 235 fps to be at or nearly 15 ft/lbs. I had to look up the equation. Energy = Weight (in grains) times Velocity Squared divided by 450395 (fixed constant) Then i had to find 44 cal weight in grains. 44 cal = .429 inch ? Used the ammo chart in downloads. approx 122 grains not quit 11 mm? Any suggestions or corrections? Balls are from a do-it slingshot pellet mold. Edit: mold info says 1/4 oz and that is only equal to 109 grains. Back to my rusty algebra.

#16 ·
I need 248 fps with the 44cal do-it mold lead balls to reach 15 ft/lbs. Right?
The only way you can be certain of ball weight is to weigh them. Your alloy can vary weight by quite a bit. I have two Do-It molds and my current batch of .44 balls (actual diameter .429) cast mostly from wheel weights weigh 116 grains. To make it easy, here is an an Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for you. It gave me 242 fps with my balls for 15.09 lb/ft.

View attachment AmmoCalc.xls

Attachments

#17 ·
. Would you believe 16.8 lb/ft with 2040 tubes?
No kidding!

Nobody likes 2040s more than me but I can't even imagine using them with .495 lead. That shows the advantages of long draw and high temperature.

Fun stuff!
Indeed! On average I got about 5 fps faster speed with 1842, but that is more a reflection of my weakened condition after two pretty rough weeks of allergies and leg infection than the different potentials. I should be able to get about 10 fps more with 1842.

#18 ·
Ok it was Daddy day care (evening shift) tonight, so didn't get much time to mess around, so I rigged up a pretty heavy tb silver band set to get an idea of how they lug the bigger balls.. Temp about 20c , shooting .454 lead balls.. I like the silver, and so far think .454 may be too small for this band rig !....? Cheers all..

#19 ·
The only way you can be certain of ball weight is to weigh them. Your alloy can vary weight by quite a bit. I have two Do-It molds and my current batch of .44 balls (actual diameter .429) cast mostly from wheel weights weigh 116 grains. To make it easy, here is an an Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for you. It gave me 242 fps with my balls for 15.09 lb/ft.

attachicon.gif
AmmoCalc.xls
Do I need a special scale?

#20 ·

attachicon.gif
AmmoCalc.xls
Postal scales work well.

#21 ·

attachicon.gif
AmmoCalc.xls
Yes, but they are cheap. I have an AWS AC-Pro 200, accurate to ,01 gram. It cost me $20.00. I bought a calibration kit with it and shipping was free.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=aws+scale

#22 ·

attachicon.gif
AmmoCalc.xls
Postal scales work well.
Many postal scales are only accurate to .1 ounce, which is 43.74 grains or 2.83 grams. If you do use a scale of unknown accuracy, weigh 50 or more balls at once to reduce the error.

#25 ·

attachicon.gif
AmmoCalc.xls
Postal scales work well.
Many postal scales are only accurate to .1 ounce, which is 43.74 grains or 2.83 grams. If you do use a scale of unknown accuracy, weigh 50 or more balls at once to reduce the error.
This is the scale that I use, and it is wonderful.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=68352&cat=2,40725

It weighs in about any units you want. It has a tare function so you do not have to worry about the weight of the container. It is small and compact ... shuts off automatically when not in use. Great for weighing ammo.

Cheers .... Charles

#27 ·
Hey Bean! That was some mean shooting! I had to laugh watching your eyes as you were stretching to do that full draw!!!! By the way, do your knuckles drag the ground when you walk??? :rofl: Yeah .... if we all had longer arms, we would all shoot a lot faster ...

Cheers ....... Charles