Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I can and because I can be a bit of a nerd, I decided to put my clay shooting setup through the chrony.

Those of us that use clays already know they go at a fair pace and accurate enough at shorter distances to be fun. With that in mind I set them against 6mm (1/4") steels as they weight about the same as a comparison.

With only a 3 to 4 fps (and rare blip) variation testing the clays I was surprised by it's consistency.

Temperature 22C (71F)
Draw 775mm (30")
Pouch HTH Indigo Microfiber BP1
Slingshot Wasp Stinger
Band Precise gen3 0.45 1510 150

Clay 10mm avg (25/64" avg) 257.83 avg fps

6mm (1/4") steels 260.44 avg fps

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing wrong with 260fps. That should be flat enough to reach out a good distance. I'll have to try it! I noticed that you're up to 500% stretch and a bit less band width. I'm curious to hear how long the bands last. With 15/10 you get lots of bands from a 2 metre latex piece.
It's definitely a really skinny band, but feels up to the job. I'll try to keep a rough tally of how many shots. Having a chrony is helping me tune my bands for performance as well as feel. Nothing like knowing what an engine can do to get the best out of it that also feels good.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the dose of info. That us really surprising.

Clay is just to shoot. I like the splatter. But those speeds suggest some serious impact. So windows are still in danger from flyers, just not so much from ricochets.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for the dose of info. That us really surprising.

Clay is just to shoot. I like the splatter. But those speeds suggest some serious impact. So windows are still in danger from flyers, just not so much from ricochets.
My pleasure. My first experience when it arrived was to shoot at an empty cardboard box in front of a wall faced with pin board to mount tools. Was a little surprised it went through the cardboard, but very surprised it embedded itself in the pin board lol Against solid objects it's puff, anything breakable and oops.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Quick update on this one as I got out for an evening session.

Fresh bands for today with 6mm (1/4") steels, short sessions throughout the day and test to destruction this evening. About 250 - 260 shots (bands checked every 10 shots) before I noticed a couple of small pinholes and the bands lost their sweetness.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

Fresh bands for today with 6mm (1/4") steels, short sessions throughout the day and test to destruction this evening. About 250 - 260 shots (bands checked every 10 shots) before I noticed a couple of small pinholes and the bands lost their sweetness.
I'm noticing the same thing with .45mm Pink Sumeike. It's an excellent band for efficiency but I seem to be changing them more often than I was when using more thickness.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm noticing the same thing with .45mm Pink Sumeike. It's an excellent band for efficiency but I seem to be changing them more often than I was when using more thickness.
It is the downside of thinner band. Got some Precise 0.55 coming, so will see how that compares.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Been looking back to when I first tried 0.45's and see back then I settled for a while like many on 1812 taper. Can't remember changing bands very often, so will that a try with 6mm. I'll keep the 1510 for clays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.