Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he quite old now and i heard the video was shot over 20 yrs ago so i dont know about him know but youve probaly seen the video already but for those who havent here:
i dont see how he is that accurate im nowhere near i can barley hit a box at 20 yrds but with practice you never know

·
Registered
855 Posts
Rufus is legendary among slingshooters. Sadly, he's no longer with us. He passed away a number of years ago (1990s I believe).

·
Resigned
1,152 Posts
The world is truly a poorer place without Rufus Hussey. He is the embodiment of the Depression-era Southern country man to me. Regarding his skill level I believe it came from two reasons. First, he states clearly in the video that his older brother was the only one allowed to hunt with the family shotgun. So it was slingshot or nothng for him. As this was the South during the Depression it was hunt or have no meat for supper. I'm pretty decent regarding accuracy but I truly believe I would see an astounding improvement if the choice was connect on this shot or go to bed hungry. Second, you will notice he keeps his shots very close and didn't try to turn his slingshot into a rifle and shoot absurd distances. A man's got to know his limitations! Couple this with 60+ years of experience shooting and you have a most lethal combination.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you think there is anyway to get one of his slingshots? i mean one made by him, must be worth alot

·
Registered
199 Posts
That clip`s a classic, would`ve loved to meet the guy.

·
Resigned
1,152 Posts
I've got about ten views myself, one being a highly dangerous open defiance of the no-streaming-at-work rule. Singh, I've wondered the same thing about getting one of his slingshots to sit on a shelf. From watching the video I've learned they are dogwood forks with non-tapered gum rubber (like high-quality rubber bands) elastics. I don't know if its possible to get one of them (you could try running down anyone named Hussey on Switchboard dot com in whatever the town named in the video). I don't know where you live but I think you could most likely find a white-wood (dogwood is very light) natural fork and create a Rufus Replica fairly easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts