Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself, as well as several other newbies to the forum, that are building slingshots, probably would prefer to build " most everything " ourselves if possible.

Having said that, and on the topic of leather pouches, what are some of the methods, tools, etc., that some of y'all have used to craft your own

"Hand Cut" pouches ?

I'm not asking about store bought dies like GZK, etc., I'm strictly talking about methods and materials for crafting pouches, using simple tools like scissors, Xacto blades, drill press, leather hole punches from Hobby Lobby etc. ?

What are y'all doing for making your own basic leather pouches ?

*** I recently ran across some very thin pieces of Goat Leather at Hobby Lobby, that feels very strong, and also picked up a set of leather hole punches there ***

but have not tried making any pouches yet with it, due to lack of time.

If anyone is interested in seeing a pic of the Goat leather, I can take a pic tonight and post a bit later, just let me know ? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I like making my own pouches. Being self contained is important, because even if I happen to have no money, I can still make my own stuff :)
I use regular scissors and a leather belt puncher. That's really all is needed. I use a gzk pouch as a template.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I, too, make my own. I would also love pics of goat hides.
I will post a pic of my set up when I return home.
I trace a pattern onto the smooth side with a scribe or ball point and use my wheel knife to rought it out. Trim if necessary with my Swiss Army knife scissors. And the use a punch, mallet, & soft scrap wood to knock the holes. Sometimes I use a larger punch to make a couple of "u" cutaways in the middle...or a smaller punch to make a self centering hole.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like the Metro tutorial, and have a somewhat different take on it I use for some things. Here is the punchline: if you're shooting small stuff, the Chinese microfiber pouches are a real sore dick deal; you just can't beat it. That said I'm big on efficiency and repeatability, so my "gripe" with the Metro tutorial is the time spent laying out each pouch. Not to mention the grain of leather isn't uniform, so for the strongest and best pouches you may not want to lay things out in a grid.

What I do is just make a template. The template can be plastic, metal, wood, whatever. I have high tech equipment on hand, so I can machine or 3D print a template quickly and easily, however I sometimes draft it by hand too with the same mechanical drafting tools we all grew up with. From there cut/grind/whatever the template out. This is where the scalpels (sharper than Xacto) are super handy. Mark the points for the holes with a pencil or chalk or whatever, and then run a scalpel around the template perimeter. Easy as that. Then punch out the holes, make any relief cuts if necessary for the band holes, and you're done. Easy, quick, efficient.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS SO MUCH to everyone that's posted so far, their seems to be some pretty good methods out there, and I guess

pretty much what I expected to hear. ;-)

Makopat, will get a pic of the Goat leather tonight ( if I can find it in my mess of a basement, lol ) and post for ya.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Before I purchased a cutting die from the Turk I used to trace around a supersure pouch or one of the simpleshot BB pouches. While the pouch was in place I would select the appropriate diameter punch and hammer it through the tie holes and center hole. Using scissors I cut along the traced lines and would use a utility knife to cut the relief slits at the tie holes.

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
I had some of the goat leather from hobby lobby that I used a die to cut pouches from. Had the band hole rip out on the first draw on the first pouch. I use kangaroo leather when I want a thin pouch now. Also I laminated a iron on patch to the goat leather but I still don't fully trust it.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I harvest upholstery leather from curb furniture. The seat cushions, the top of the arm and any kick place have the highest grade.

I'll measure out the width I want and cut it with an old rotary blade and ruler. I cut to length and use a coin to trace round ends on the blank (a dime usually) and trim with scissors. To punch holes, I use a piece of thicker sacrificial leather and place the holes by eye. A light squeeze of the punch will give a light impression and you can adjust accordingly. I would recommend that you get your punch from Tractor Supply or somewhere else that they carry supplies for horses.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
What Northerner said.

Don't make too big a deal out of it. It's easy.

There is one caveat though. Some leathers have a tendency to stretch more in one direction than another. Just pull the leather in several directions and if you can see a difference then cut the pouch longwise in the same direction. Doing this will help make the pouch more stable because the streched leather will actually help form a pocket.

Goat is a very soft but very strong leather. It should work well.

winnie

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS SO MUCH to everyone that's posted so far, their seems to be some pretty good methods out there, and I guess

pretty much what I expected to hear. ;-)

Makopat, will get a pic of the Goat leather tonight ( if I can find it in my mess of a basement, lol ) and post for ya.
Makopat, cannot find the danged goat leather.......if you saw my basement / workshop, you'd understand why. :panic: :sorry: ....I will keep digging though, it's got to be around somewhere, LOL.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, I've never had luck with any kind of thin leather, goat, kangaroo, pig skin have all failed me. Go for thicker where possible. Elk hide has been a good leather for me.

winnie
Thanks for that Winnie, will keep that in mind........I have a very nice piece of VERY thick Elk hide, that I bought as a leg protector when I was learning to Flint Knap arrowheads, but that

thing was pretty danged expensive, and not sure I want to cut it up into pouches. ( who knows, I might even take up Flint Knapping again and need it, LOL )

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,404 Posts
I harvest upholstery leather from curb furniture. The seat cushions, the top of the arm and any kick place have the highest grade.

I'll measure out the width I want and cut it with an old rotary blade and ruler. I cut to length and use a coin to trace round ends on the blank (a dime usually) and trim with scissors. To punch holes, I use a piece of thicker sacrificial leather and place the holes by eye. A light squeeze of the punch will give a light impression and you can adjust accordingly. I would recommend that you get your punch from Tractor Supply or somewhere else that they carry supplies for horses.
Thanks flipgun, sounds like a good process, and I'll definitely check the Tractor Supply near my house for the leather working tools.....I also have an old leather recliner the wife wore out and wants me to trash, but had already planned to do like your doing, and scavenge the leather off of it, LOL. ( GOOD TIP )

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
SHAGGYGA, PM me your address and I'll send you a piece of elk hide to play with. I've got a piece rignt in front of me that you can get a few pouches out of.

winnie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts