Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
duel-between-burr-and-hamilton-english-school.jpg

In these days of polarization and political tribalism, pundits and political enthusiasts may find themselves in a position where honor needs defending. In this situation, there's noting like a good-old fashioned duel.

I'm totally in favor of it. Not only would it be fun to watch, but it might really help to reduce the population of pundits and political enthusiasts.

For those at the top: elected officials, religious leaders, social activists, and the more voracious leftist and rightist adherents, I would suggest shotguns. Say five yards apart.

But it's slingshots for us. There's no need to leave us slingers out of it.

We need rules and procedures for our duels.

For instance, two guys get in an argument: OTT or TTF, which is really better? Don't come to blows about it. Settle arguments like those once and for all in a way that's both practical and demonstrative. A way that really tests all the variables and produces a definable, incontrovertible, result, the proof in the pudding.

Or, you may not like someone and just want to put a ball in their face for no reason at all.

1) After the age of powder, pistol duels were fought with smooth-bore pistols. These weapons were purposely inaccurate. Honor would be restored hopefully without fatality. Remember however, there's an excellent chance BOTH combatants will take a ball. Lots of real duels ended like that. In the Old South, where duels were often fought with revolvers, LOTS of duels ended like that.

The question is, do we allow the duelers to use their own, preferred slingshot? Or, do we force them both to use identical, perhaps less accurate slingshots, like matched Dankungs, with the same weight tubes, and the same size ammo?.

2) Do the duelers stand back to back, take ten paces each, then turn, on command, to fire, or do they just stand 20 meters apart facing each other?

I would suggest that they DO need to turn and fire. It adds challenge and gives a much better chance for a bystander to get hurt.

I also suggest that the opponents are able to hold the pouch and ball "At Ready," but they have to keep the slingshot and pouch below their waist until the order is given to turn and fire.

I KNOW I'm not the only one who pretends duels and Western quick-draw showdowns. My favorite thing is to start at the ten meter mark, walk to the 20 meter mark and then wait for that fateful time. MY target, a 23 Cm stainless steel plate (The same size as a human head) is about to die. It just doesn't know it yet.

It's not enough to be fast, you have to hit the target.

Then, just like Matt Dillon at the start of the old black and white Gunsmoke, I look a bit sad. I pretend to care about whatever miscreant is stretched out in the dirt.... Then I reload.

It might be fun to film yourself doing this. Then, other people could time (and film) themselves and see if they could beat you. Create Video quick-draw contests.

Remember though, fast is just noise if you don't hit he target.

I think I would use one of my Dankung looped tube slingshots. They may not be as accurate as a flat band, but they're sturdy, fast, and instinctive.

What would you use?

Platinum Slingshot.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Frame choice doesn't matter for me, as I would shoot in a totally alien way for my standards, forks upright, no contact of the bands to the cheek, totally instinctive ????

And pray to the slingshot gods I would actually hit the target ????

·
Super Moderator
6,541 Posts
I know this is meant as a fun thought, but anytime I hear people shooting at people ( with anything ),I get nervous. With all the violence of late, this is an idea that could get into the wrong heads.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
I know this is meant as a fun thought, but anytime I hear people shooting at people ( with anything ),I get nervous. With all the violence of late, this is an idea that could get into the wrong heads.
Ok! I GOT IT!
Instead of slingshots we will use feather dusters and have a tickle contest and there will not be any winners or losers because everyone is a winner.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Ya you are right Flatband... Bad form on our part. If someone pointed a slingshot at me, I'd probs wee wee my pants. you'll hear no more from me on the subject.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Paintball Dueling Event at a Slingshot Tournament (I guarantee it'll be the most watched event)

1) Combatants stand back to back, wearing full face-masks and goggles, slingshot in one hand, a single paintball in the other. Hands down at their side.

2) At a signal, they take ten paces away from each other. At no time may they turn and look.

3) At a second signal, they turn and fire at will.

4) Scoring will be determined by presence and severity of injury.

Notes:

In real pistol duels, the object was to make hitting anything as difficult as possible. That's why they stood so far apart and used smooth-bore, pistols, often flint-lock and often without sites. Not only that, but you would never have practiced with the actual pistol. You wouldn't touch it until right before the duel started.15 to 20 meters is a long shot for a pistol like that. The best case was that they both miss. Honor is served and everyone goes home and eats lunch.

"Paces" differ, thus exact distance will be unknown. I would guess it'll average the two will end up about 15 to 20 meters apart, but you never know.

I would let the combatants use whatever slingshot they're comfortable with. Not only is it a huge test of differing slingshot capabilities; how quick you can load, aim, and fire. It's a huge test of shooting technique.

Obviously you want to be fast, but not so fast that you miss. You won't see your opponent until you turn. He'll be where you expect him to be, sort of, but he wont be exactly where you think. You'd better not rush your shot. Even if he gets you, he might not get you as bad as you get him.

Try to ignore him completely. Don't watch what he's doing. He's a target, nothing more.

Remember also what I said about video duels. It hardly takes the place though. The whole main deal about a duel is that you have to shoot someone knowing he's about to shoot you. That's different than just timing yourself turning and firing.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
But do we get to wear safety glasses? I suggest paintballs at the standard 10 meters.
Not paint balls, dried dung.

Even wear protective gear...because I'd be aimimg below the belt...the flippery version of the bad guy/black hat because every good movie needs a great bad guy.

Once upon a in the West had the best bad guy. Google Henry Fonda (Frank) slaps Charles Bronson...you will get the point real fast.

But Flatband is correct. Safety 1st and we are under scrutiny to represent the most accessible shooting sport in the world.

But a new fast draw target game could be a big draw. (puns- I love 'em)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.