Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having tried quarter inch square rubber and Theraband gold in various configurations I've found myself firmly in the office band camp. Looped chains of No. 64 bands (89x6mm) from Staples were a good starting point - 2,2,2,3 each side - but a new lot have just arrived from Amazon. First up are "Quality" 208s (203x16mm) - inverted commas cos quality they ain't. Not for catties anyway. They snap at the slightest provocation and don't have that much stretch.

Big huzza for 5-star 38s (152x3mm) though! These are allegedly 90% natural rubber and would appear so from the amount of stretch and done up as looped chains with 4,4,5 each side are accurate, powerful, near-as-dammit silent and no hand slap. 6 quid a pound, guv, including shipping.

The **** with all this typing. I'm off out to shoot.

Alex.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely. The 6" bands are good because there are only three links so only two double-thickness lumps per side as opposed to 4 with 5 of the shorter bands. My magnum snubby catty has 4,5,6 of these per side which give an 8" brace height and draw past my ear.

I can also change a broken band while running. Try that with Theraband!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found that with the 89x6mm bands I had to balance them for strength on each side, otherwise I might end up with an uneven draw. The 152x3mm bands don't seem so sensitive. One advantage of these bunches of narrow bands is that if one breaks a corresponding one on the other side can be cut to permit shooting to continue, if a bit less powerfully.

Alliance bands seem to get a bit of good press here; my experience of Staples bands is good; The Quality bands I've tried are a bit fragile; these 5star bands are reet good - any opinion out there on who makes the best office bands for catties?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One of the problems with a latex T-shirt (great way to start a post, this) is getting the thing on and off without finding oneself tied up around the shoulders in a big, thick, sticky rubber band. The cure (if you don't want to go around lubed or dripping sweaty talc) is chlorination. I haven't done this myself as some of the avant-garde couturiers are set up to do it better, but I gather the process, involving things like ammonia and hydrochloric acid, essentially fills in the microscopic troughs in the latex allowing it to slide easily over itself. Certainly chlorinated T-shirts are easy to don and doff, and are comfortable in between.

Next time I send a couple of items off for chlorination I'll add a bag of office bands and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you're in a typical London nightclub... well, something like TG anyway... you're gonna sweat whatever you wear. It's like a wetsuit or armour - you rapidly get to equilibrium point then you're ok.

There are a couple of latex sheet manufacturers over here and the formulae are slightly different. 4D is the company I'm most familiar with - can't remember the name of the other one - and their stuff looks like it might be very suitable for catapults. It's available in a range of thicknesses and pretty colours from www.supatex.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just broken the first No. 38 band, near the pouch. Removed one from the other side so it's now 3,4,5 from pouch to fork in the folded/braided format and the thing shoots more sweetly than ever. I've not talc'd this lot cos I wanted to see how long they'd last. There's a second band on its way out now and I've only put about 50 shots through it.

Pelletor - I'd be wary of using any kind of oil or grease on the leather if it's in contact with the bands as rubber tends to dissolve in these substances. I use crust roo (tanned but otherwise untreated) for pouches instead of drum stuffed (greased) and finish forks with shellac rather than tung or linseed oil for this reason.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The 3,4,5 set-up was indeed faster than 4,4,5 but rather too short-lived. I've come down to 3,3,4 which seems to be about the same speed with M8 hex nuts as 3,4,5; probably because I'm drawing an inch or two more. Easier draw and better accuracy as well.

Following advice on another thread I turned my 'roo hide pouch flesh side out and yes, the grip and release are improved and the pouch has more of a, well, pouch shape to it.

Yep, talc works but it's messy. It'll have to do til I get the chlorination sorted out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Blast! Amazon is suddenly out of Alliance Sterlings, just as I was about to order some 117b and 207 bands. Just as well the No.38s are working as well as anything. Gone back to 3,4,5 cos as Charles says, it's a good, fast taper.

I recall that the Alliance 207s were available as Sterlings or "ergonomically correct" 100% rubber. Anyone tried these and if so, what's the difference between the two models?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well, I've just had my cattying world turned on its head by Mr. Henry's dissertation on 1842 tubing. 2 days playing around with it and totting up the cost (about 40p a set) and I've just unloaded all my office bands and talc onto a friend's two young sons. So far the tubes are lasting very well - longer than an office band set - and are way faster for much less draw weight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Mr. Charles old bean, I heartily agree! Apart from the bit about finding the blasted things. I've been all over this bit of London, which includes a fair few shops stocking rubber bands, but for the most part they're low quality and inconsistent. Hence having to order them from Amazon, as and when they're in. If I'm going to do that I might as well order direct from China. the 8 and 10 year old boys haven't that luxury and probably can't tie constrictor knots tight enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.