Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I have been shooting "braided" Alliance 64s for the past week. My preference is for the braided method, rather than the chain technique that Nico uses. Here is the braid:

And here is the more usual chain:

The braid has several advantages, from my point of view. The braid does not require any tie at the pouch. You just pull the band through the hole and you are done. Further, with the braid there is no loss of length in the knots used for the usual chain; the rubber in the knots is wasted as far as supplying power is concerned. Also, the braid is self-adjusting; with the normal chain, it is easy to get the rubber on one side of the knot a little longer than on the other side of the knot. In addition, it is a LOT easier to replace a broken piece on the braid than in a chain. With the normal chain, when a piece breaks, it is about as easy to make a whole new band than to try to untie those knots without damaging the rubberbands.

It is very easy to make tapered sets, just by adding extra rubberbands toward the fork.

In my experience, using Gypsy tabs and braids, the set up is about as accurate as flat bands.

Whether you use the regular chains or the braids, you will increase the life of your bands if you dust them with a bit of talcum powder ... baby powder works well. Put the rubberbands in a baggie with a bit of talcum, and shake it up well. Then take the rubberbands out and shake off the excess. Then proceed to make your chains or braids. The talc helps lubricate the bands and cuts down on wear.

Theraband gold will be faster with a lighter draw. But for availability and cheapness, it is really hard to beat office rubberbands.

Cheers ........ Charles
I have never had the slightest interest in trying a chain configuration, until now. Charles, your explanation was simple, direct to the point, and I became involved in your comparison, and especially the up side of using the braid chain with a very available and cheap band. I will be trying it soon, I appreciate your sharing this information, thanks.

Al

PS The braid chain looks great on your frame, I think that is your mod of DH's design, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Talking about lubricants.... do you remember the toy airplanes that were simply wings and a tail, with a long rubber band connected to a propeller on the front of the little air craft? We used to wind the rubber band up by turning the propeller until the band was twisted on top of itself and almost knotting, then when you released the propeller it turned rapidly and off the plane went.

That was very hard on the rubber bands, but they found that a lubricant would extends their life by reducing the friction from winding and unwinding. One of the lubricant they use is called Sil-Slick Rubber Band Lubricant. $6.00 for 2 oz. on EBay. I have some on the way and looking forward to trying it.

Small hobby shop dealers are usually very aware of the effectiveness of the products they carry and they have used this for years and still recommend it. So I think it must work to an appreciable extent and am looking forward to trying it. It would be nice if someone else tried it (like Charles) or a lot of Charles' tried it. At any rate, I will provide a follow up report when I "think" I have a result.

Al

PS: I don't think Armorall UV protection does anything, do you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.