Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Do you think you might get better life from you bands, with less friction and rub, if you conditioned the bands with Armorall or some other type of popular rubber conditioner...it does provide additional UV protection, and since the bands are braided there is no problem with knots slipping...

·
Registered
348 Posts
My reason for suggesting Armorall is that I have used it on rubber products (other than slingshot bands) along with use on monofilament fishing lines that used to age, get brittle and chalky (no longer the case)...When making up chain sets you are inadvertantly applying heat and friction as you draw the loops together (weakening th rubber) ...The added lubrication helps with this problem...Talcum powder and corn flour may also help and I`m sure less expensive....The Armorall does "slick-up" the material so be carefull with use around crucial knots!...and I should say I have treated synthetics with this stuff that are more than twenty, and some possibly over 30 years old....A good cleaning occaasionally with mild cleaners is the start...

·
Registered
348 Posts
One more note on lubricating rubber bands...When you lubricate the rubber bands before you knot up your chains, it makes handling a lot easier and less friction when you draw the knots tight...creating a neater chain band consistantly....

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you made some tests with the Armorall you wil find it does extend the life of the bands...and likewise with bike inner tubes...if cost is a problem use talc...most companies might pack with this to cut costs, but I wouldn`t say that it does a better job of extending the life of rubber...Apply lightly and remove all excess for best results...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.