Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Charles, I've been lurking for a while now as my interest in slingshots has been rekindled from posts on another board. I have been considering my options and would have never thought to try office bands. My experience was with red rubber bands made from truck inner tubes and when they disappeared, surgical rubber tubing.

I have and old oak "board" cut slingshot frame that still has one dark brown and cracked surgical rubber tube attached and a very dried out leather pouch attached. I went to Staples today after double checking for their Alliance 107 bands. Sadly when I drove there only Staples brands were available. I bought their "84" (3.5" x 1/2") and "64" 3.5" x 1/4") bands anyway. I have just mink oiled that old pouch and am waiting to see if it softens.

I have successfully made a pouch for a sling (not a slingshot) from jean material (2 layers with a light smear of "Goop" between them) and saw a post here about using seat belt material. I was wondering if you have any thoughts about using fabric like materials for pouches?

Thanks again for the office band enlightenment!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Alex, Thanks! The mink oil was a bit of a concern so I avoided the area around the holes on each end of the old pouch but I had no idea the rubber in these bands was so reactive to that sort of oil to even avoid tung and linseed oil on the wood. Thanks for sharing!

I'm not certain I can recover the old leather pouch so I also started a pouch made of two layers of jean material. I traced around the old one. I have it curing between two blocks of wood clamped together with C-Clamps. I also found an old pair of leather slippers that I saved, my wife will be delighted to learn I DO have a use for them. LOL!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for your very considered reply Charles.

I have gone on to make the jeans pouch and I'm about to attach it to my old frame after having linked (braided) several Staples 84 and 64 bands. Not sure what combination I'll end up with so it's too early to post here.

I did manage to weigh both the old leather pouch and the new jeans pouch at 3.86 grams and 2.72 grams respectively. I have no idea what a heavy or light pouch means so I decided to go with what worked for me way back when..... only in jean material.

I can hardly wait to take my 1st few shots! Below is a picture comparing the two pouches ( I hope)!

http://i320.photobuc...erJeanPouch.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.