Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I started using braided chains on my chinese frames. It is incredible how well it works. I can highly recommend this to any one. If you have a chinese frame this is a must try.

Reactions: Larry Bass

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
Yep ... that is an excellent demonstration! Thanks for posting that. My only addition would be to suggest lubricating the bands with talc first. Just put a bit of talc based baby powder in a baggie, throw in the bands, and shake it all up. Then shake off the excess from the bands and proceed as above.

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Blast! Amazon is suddenly out of Alliance Sterlings, just as I was about to order some 117b and 207 bands. Just as well the No.38s are working as well as anything. Gone back to 3,4,5 cos as Charles says, it's a good, fast taper.

I recall that the Alliance 207s were available as Sterlings or "ergonomically correct" 100% rubber. Anyone tried these and if so, what's the difference between the two models?

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
Check out Sparco 107 bands from Office Depot. The batch I tried shot a bit faster (5 fps) than the Alliance brand. I suspect they are made in the same place ... just a different label. I checked their US website, and they seem to carry Alliance; their Canadian website carries Sparco. Amazon ain't the only on-line store!

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh! So -that's- how braiding works. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the attachment method to the forks. Looks like you need Gypsy tabs or a set-up designed for chains. I suppose I could do the braid then just tie them to the forks like normal.

Thanks for the topic!

-Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
Oh! So -that's- how braiding works. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the attachment method to the forks. Looks like you need Gypsy tabs or a set-up designed for chains. I suppose I could do the braid then just tie them to the forks like normal.

Thanks for the topic!

-Bob
Absolutely correct. You can just tie the bands to the fork in the usual way, if you prefer.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well, I've just had my cattying world turned on its head by Mr. Henry's dissertation on 1842 tubing. 2 days playing around with it and totting up the cost (about 40p a set) and I've just unloaded all my office bands and talc onto a friend's two young sons. So far the tubes are lasting very well - longer than an office band set - and are way faster for much less draw weight.

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
Well, I've just had my cattying world turned on its head by Mr. Henry's dissertation on 1842 tubing. 2 days playing around with it and totting up the cost (about 40p a set) and I've just unloaded all my office bands and talc onto a friend's two young sons. So far the tubes are lasting very well - longer than an office band set - and are way faster for much less draw weight.
I do not doubt your observations about tubes vs office bands. I believe there is still a place for office bands.

The tubes are generally much harder to come by than office bands. If I am on the road somewhere and need bands, I can bet on finding office bands just about anywhere. Knowing how to use them effectively means I can keep shooting. I can walk into a store most anywhere and buy office rubber bands ... sure can't do that with tubes.

It is very easy to teach kids (or novices) how to make bands with office rubber, and they can do the entire procedure with no measuring or cutting.

Generally, it is a lot easier and cheaper to experiment with the effects of tapering by playing around with office bands. No cutting, no weird tieing, etc.

Office bands work very well with quite heavy ammo ... they are not as fast with lighter weight stuff as tubes, but their velocity does not drop off so much with heavier ammo.

So, in general, I think office rubber bands are a good place to start ... and they are sort of a "survivalist" alternative.

Having said all that, my current preferred shooter is set up with a pseudo taper (half doubled) arrangement of 1745 tubes. And I have ordered some 1842.

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Well, I had my session with the 10 year old lad yesterday. I provided him with a Ninja variant, cut from HDPE, with a bycycle innertube covering for the handle, and a lanyard. I had it set up with gypsy tabs held in place by screws and acorn nuts. I let him try a braided 111111 set up with Staples 64s. They were too heavy for him to draw comfrotably. Then I had him try a braided 333333 set up with Office Depot 33s. But he found that to be too strong for him as well. So he and I talced some more Office Depot 33s and made braided 222222 bands, which were much more to his liking. I had him begin with aluminum foil balls as ammo before moving to 3/8 inch steel.

I sent him home with the slingshot, a bunch of extra rubber bands, some talc, an extra pouch, a pvc backstop, and some leather targets of varying sizes. I had a report that he was quite excited when he got home ... he was assembling the backstop and showing his dad how everything worked. Hopefully he will get a lot of joy out of the whole package.

Those braided bands were pretty easy for him to assemble, and he had no trouble changing bands with those Gypsy tabs. And it was certainly advantageous that the draw weight was easily adjustable to suit him. In case of breakage, he can find those 33s or 32s most anywhere and make up new band sets himself.

Those braided office rubberbands certainly worked well in this situation.

Cheers ....... Charles
cool charles! that was sure nice of you!! : ) the boy still enjoying his shooter?

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
Well, I had my session with the 10 year old lad yesterday. I provided him with a Ninja variant, cut from HDPE, with a bycycle innertube covering for the handle, and a lanyard. I had it set up with gypsy tabs held in place by screws and acorn nuts. I let him try a braided 111111 set up with Staples 64s. They were too heavy for him to draw comfrotably. Then I had him try a braided 333333 set up with Office Depot 33s. But he found that to be too strong for him as well. So he and I talced some more Office Depot 33s and made braided 222222 bands, which were much more to his liking. I had him begin with aluminum foil balls as ammo before moving to 3/8 inch steel.

I sent him home with the slingshot, a bunch of extra rubber bands, some talc, an extra pouch, a pvc backstop, and some leather targets of varying sizes. I had a report that he was quite excited when he got home ... he was assembling the backstop and showing his dad how everything worked. Hopefully he will get a lot of joy out of the whole package.

Those braided bands were pretty easy for him to assemble, and he had no trouble changing bands with those Gypsy tabs. And it was certainly advantageous that the draw weight was easily adjustable to suit him. In case of breakage, he can find those 33s or 32s most anywhere and make up new band sets himself.

Cheers ....... Charles
cool charles! that was sure nice of you!! : ) the boy still enjoying his shooter?
[/quote]

The kid is still shooting ... has not destroyed anything serious yet. He even went out to the woods with his mother and showed her how to aim and shoot. I feel pretty good about that one.

Cheers ... Charles

·
Registered
103 Posts

Cheers ....... Charles
I'm glad you did this. I'm sending one to my nephew in Calgary. His mom asked for one. He's about that age and it's nice to have a guide for the strength of bands to use. I made some tinfoil balls for him with which to practice. Can't wait to show you guys the shooter.

-Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
I did find the tinfoil to be almost useless for target shooting. I really just use it so the newbies get a feel for how to hold and shoot the slingshot. Once they are comfortable with it, have the right position, and do not flinch when they release, I move them on to other ammo so they can develop accuracy. The tinfoil is so light that it is hard to do any damage with it ... but then it scoots all over the place in the air.

Cheers ... Charles

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Mr. Charles old bean, I heartily agree! Apart from the bit about finding the blasted things. I've been all over this bit of London, which includes a fair few shops stocking rubber bands, but for the most part they're low quality and inconsistent. Hence having to order them from Amazon, as and when they're in. If I'm going to do that I might as well order direct from China. the 8 and 10 year old boys haven't that luxury and probably can't tie constrictor knots tight enough.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have never had the slightest interest in trying a chain configuration, until now. Charles, your explanation was simple, direct to the point, and I became involved in your comparison, and especially the up side of using the braid chain with a very available and cheap band. I will be trying it soon, I appreciate your sharing this information, thanks.

Al

PS The braid chain looks great on your frame, I think that is your mod of DH's design, isn't it?
Thanks for the kind comments. Yep ... that's a Ninja variant with Gypsy tabs. It shoots very well with the braids. For "serious" work (hunting), I would use a tapered braid, which is dead easy in that configuration. Give 'em a try ... cheap and easy ... if you don't like them, you have lost very little.

Cheers ..... Charles
[/quote]

As a purebred Hungarian, I am curious as to what constitutes a "Gypsy tab." I'm not offended, just curious.

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
A Gypsy tab is just a loop, generally of leather, that is attached to the fork. The band is then attached to the loop. Here is an example with office rubber bands.

Here the loop is attached with a nut and bolt, but it can be tied on in the same way you would tie on a band.

Cheers ....... Charles

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.