Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there has been some discussion about tubes slipping when making pseudo tapers. I have tried everything that was suggested and still don't really like what's going on. I just cannot seem to find the happy medium. Either they slide on me or they break at the loop.

Like this:

So far, I have not had this problem with the tubes Nathan sent me, but with Tex-Shooter's tubes (pictured) and 1842 Dankungs and 2040 Dankungs, I have problems.

. . . anybody else? Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
Recently one of our German contributors (Tobse or Torsten ???) posted a video, but durned if I can find it at the moment. Anyway, you form your loop as in your photo, and then you just tie an overhand knot in the loop down where the looped end meets the tube. I have not tried this myself yet, but the poster swore it works well. If you have not tried that, it might be worth a go. Just a suggestion ...

Cheers ....... Charles

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have exactly the same thing happen when I have tried them. This is the best solution I have found.

a short piece of cord with 3 knots tied in it.

Hopefully you get what I have done here. Start with 2 pices of tube. One for the loop and one for the single. The knots in the cord are pushed into the tubes and tied off with a constrictor knot. This way seems to last the best for me and of course no slippage guaranteed.

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recently one of our German contributors (Tobse or Torsten ???) posted a video, but durned if I can find it at the moment. Anyway, you form your loop as in your photo, and then you just tie an overhand knot in the loop down where the looped end meets the tube. I have not tried this myself yet, but the poster swore it works well. If you have not tried that, it might be worth a go. Just a suggestion ...

Cheers ....... Charles
Charles, I tried this. I used a bowline but I don't think the knot matters. It still broke as in the picture.

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have exactly the same thing happen when I have tried them. This is the best solution I have found.

Hopefully you get what I have done here. Start with 2 pices of tube. One for the loop and one for the single. The knots in the cord are pushed into the tubes and tied off with a constrictor knot. This way seems to last the best for me and of course no slippage guaranteed.
Toddy you old geezer that's brilliant. But it might be a little difficult with the smaller tubes.

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts

Cheers ....... Charles
Charles, I tried this. I used a bowline but I don't think the knot matters. It still broke as in the picture.
[/quote]

You may well be right. But I do know that in rope work a bowline actually weakens the rope ... has something to do with where the pressure gets distributed. Anyway, please do keep us posted if you find a solution.

Cheers .... Charles

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
I've been making these for months now, and at first had some slippage, but since I started using a sleeve of 1745 followed up by a constrictor knot of waxed leather sewing twine, I've had no slippage. The tubes usually, but not always, break at the loop to single transition. I usually get about 200 shots with this configuration and I really stretch them out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Henry, I have done it the way you suggest and have got it to work just fine in the end. There is of course one other advantage to the triple knotted piece of string method though. As you rightly say most breakages occur at the point where the doubles meet the single. The single being maxed out every shot, this has to be the weak point. However with the string method you can simply renew the single tube, thus saving on tube usage.

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
I simply use the wrap and tuck method with slightly wider (3mm) strips of TB Silver, wound round both tubes really tightly and several times (at least eight to ten times). It is very secure, no slippage so far and it is markedly lighter than Tobes's knot method. It also doesn't use up any rubber length.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been experimenting with tapered flubes! Basically tubes folded over and tapered flats attached at the tied end. Pretty good, flats now fit my chinese frame easily and can change just as easy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
PseudoTapers003.jpg

PseudoTapers005.jpg

This knot-in-the-tube attachment method very cool option! It appears to be paracord? I have paracord here and just did simple 'test knot' to 'visually compare' my knot to Toddy's knot image above. My paracord knot is much larger compared to the much more compact knot in the photo To use this looping attachment method with paracord, were the nylon fiber strands inside the paracord removed, then only the outer paracord skin used? Is the cord still strong enough without the inside fiber strands? Hopefully Toddy sees this post or anyone else, who may be familiar with this knot in tube technique.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I do this method now, the knots and string method don´t last long.

What you need is two strips of tube.( good for recycling old tubes)

Here I use MR 4064

13269536dv.jpg

I just put both tubeends, bendet with some cord, in the other without lubricant!!

This fits very good and looks clean.

13269442ys.jpg

To secure it I bend it up with a small strip tbb.

13269444gb.jpg

I slip a small piece of the tube over tis area.

13269445rd.jpg

Thats all.

13269446id.jpg

They last long and look clean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.