Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Getting your game from the practice field to the playing field is difficult in all sports, no less slingshooting. Performance anxiety goes by many names: stage fright, butterflies, butt pucker, first-tee jitters, buck fever, and "Dang, they're all watching me!" It can be a profound physiological burden, especially during activities which require great deftness of touch. The adrenaline dump alone can flummox fundamentally sound strokes. That relaxed, sensitive feel you've worked so hard to ingrain, feels foreign suddenly, for no other reason than the shot was assigned consequence.

The best way I've found to deal with consequential shots is to face them as often as I can. Most easily accomplished via a friendly rivalry or two. Friends with proximity, time, similar skill level, and interest are tough to come by however. I'd have to guess that the vast majority of us practice alone. I came up with this routine to gradually induce pucker:

Address an envelope to an organization or cause that you loathe. Put a stamp on it. On a small piece of paper write "DONATION. I LOST A BET." Fold the paper and place it in the envelope. DO NOT seal the envelope. Place the envelope in, at, or near your catch box.

Suspend two pop cans in your catch box. Place one dollar in the envelope. Again, DO NOT seal the envelope.

You have twenty shots. You must hit each can five times from eleven yards. If you succeed, you stop for the day. If you fail, you immediately seal the envelope and post it at your earliest convenience. The practice routine runs for five days. If you start on Monday, and are successful through Friday, you pocket the five dollars. The following week involves the same process, but this time you'll need six hits per can, and so on. The pucker factor at eight hits per can is fierce, and gives each shot consequence, turning routine practice into a battle-hardening session.

So far I've sent $4 to a Flat Earther group. Poor misguided souls...

What are your thoughts on inducing stress/pressure/pucker? Does it really help? Really?

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Seems like a good idea... although I'd send the money to St. Jude's Children's hospital instead of a charity I truly despise... Since we already donate a fairly substantial amount, I don't feel obligated to send more... So it would be irritating to lose, but at the same time I'm not supporting enemies to my conscience.

Am I going to try the idea though... probably not, I've got a pretty decent handle on my heebie jeebies, but it does sound interesting.

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has nothing to do with charity Bill. Different matter entirely. I'm trying to conjure an opponent and get him to take my bet. Helps during the conjuring if there exists a little natural animus to begin with... This morning I had early chores. It was cold. First thing I saw when I turned the lights on in the shop was the slingshot sitting there on the sawhorse so I decided to get my twenty shots in. I'll be sending one dollar to a bull fighting school in South America.

I am in complete agreement Ghost. Hunger is a remarkable motivator, and as luck would have it, easily integrated into the routine. Success gets you elk stew with dumplings. Failure gets you six raisins and a crouton.

16 Posts
I once met a retired Matador from Spain. I had to admire the man for staying with it long enough to retire without getting gored by a bull. He had his cape, hat and other equipment displayed on his living room wall. And he had some really interesting stories. Bull Fighting kinda makes slingshot shooting sound a bit on the dull side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts