Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a new thread about this slingshot because with it I learned so much.
I have been disappointed with my shooting for some time now, but between this slingshot, some rubber that ZDP-189 (Dan) gave me, and much advise from the guys over at Jack's Shed (Fish's forum), I have broken through to a new level of competence.

Long story short: I think I was trying too hard to be like Joerg. I wanted not only to be accurate, but able to kill anything I hit (my initial impetus for slingshooting was to protect my garden veggies from varmints).

But I learned that you don't need all that much power to kill small game. And anyway if you can't hit it, you can't kill it or eat it.

So I learned today that (1) I was always mismatching my power to my ammo; and (2) that I was trying to use powerful slingshots that were beyond my arthritic ability to shoot for very long (thanks Bill Herriman).

So I banded this little gansta pocket pal up with Dan's elastic (9" long, tapered from 1-1/8" to 5/8" at the pouch) and began shooting 3/8" steel balls from Bill Herriman at a softball at 15 yards. And the next thing that happened can only be described as love at first sight.

Everything just fell into place. All the advice and practice seemed to just fall into place at once this morning. I had three hours of the most fun I've had since re-taking up this sport. I shot way better than I ever did with the Cougar (my favorite up to now). And even got back to about 20 yards and shot accurately. Then I started shattering beer bottles and stuff and. . . etc., etc. . . . I will be taking many walks this summer with my new pal, like Flatband suggested, and do some plinking along the way.

More pics of my new love:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Congrats, good to hear you found that balance. Enjoy your new friend!!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I'm happy the bands are working out and happier still that you've reached a new level of enjoyment. "I love it when a plan comes together!"

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Way to go ! I like to shoot with lighter pulling rubber too.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice little catty, is the blue band near therraband gold? i think i use the same stuff in the same dimension.
No. This is very weak compared to thera gold -- I am going to end up with that on this slingshot when I feel I am ready for it. The slingshot is ready for it, though, that's for sure!

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smitty, I have a plan. Once I settle into the right rubber for enjoyment target shooting, I will only use my copper gloveshot for the killer stuff. Armed with thera- gold, that thing will kill anything in its path. And I don't even need to practice much with it.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Good plan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts