Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I can easily build a catchbox, and I've made a couple in the past. I don't feel like building another because I'd rather spend my time shooting. I bought one from simpleshot, but it's a very small 15"X15" if that.

When I googled catchboxes, the ones that popped up were just as small or smaller.

I'm wondering if I can purchase a larger catchbox, Something like a 4ft.X4ft.(or anything really) where I can hang multiple targets, rather than just one.

Again, I know that I can build one just as easy, I seen another post where a gentleman said "it's my money, I can spend it how I want to."

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I got a fabric storage cupboard for 10€, it's 1.60x75x45, don't remember the depth, but it's around there. It's HUGE, and very very light, you can move it with one finger, cheap as cheap can ever be, and well, if you take it apart it is also portable :)
If you go tomthe thread, "show off your catch box", you will see it there ????

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at saunders, and I seen the saco stop, but I dont see how to hand the targets, and I think all it is, is a wall to stop the ammo. Then there is the spinning target catchbox itself from saunders and it says 8inchX8inchX36Inches? I don't think its what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find one large enough to potentially hold multiple targets.

I could see the fabric storage cupboard working, but I don't want to piece together, and rig up. I'm hoping I could find something I could order, and when it comes in I'll just put it together and boom, ready to go.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I looked at saunders, and I seen the saco stop, but I dont see how to hand the targets, and I think all it is, is a wall to stop the ammo. Then there is the spinning target catchbox itself from saunders and it says 8inchX8inchX36Inches? I don't think its what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find one large enough to potentially hold multiple targets.
I could see the fabric storage cupboard working, but I don't want to piece together, and rig up. I'm hoping I could find something I could order, and when it comes in I'll just put it together and boom, ready to go.
This thing I've got, the fabric one, really only needs 5 minutes to setup, nothing complicated! Now, if you want something a bit smaller/easier to carry, I don't know, but a pet cage sounds like a good idea, if it is big enough!
You could also make one out of PVC pipes. I know that you said you didn't want to start building, but in reality you will just put together 6-7 pieces, like a puzzle, and if you get them already cut in the dimensions you want, it'll be a 3 minute job too :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
So there may not be anything I could buy. I was just trying to avoid going out and buying pieces and parts. My days offs aren't really days offs lately. Might be a good idea for one of the vendors
Hmmmmmm, you could get a plastic bin or something, extremely easy to make it into a catch box. But finding one that suits you may be more time consuming than just making a simple one ????

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, in the mean time I’m using this small one from simple shot. It’s not bad, just the same thing over and over again

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
As Skropi said, hit the dollar store and grab a big plastic bin. They're inexpensive and you can simply drill a few holes, thread it with paracord to hang your backstop and targets.

·
Banned
193 Posts
You do not need a catch box in order to shoot slingshots and save your ammo. All you need is a bed sheet hung from a rope stretched between two posts or solid objects. You can hang as many targets as you like from a second rope or paracord. This is pretty much all I use outside. I have a couple of wood and metal frame boxes in the house that I found in a trash bin that saved me from building anything. I just put a stick across the open top and hung a towel and and I have a ready made catch box.A little bit of creativity goes a long way. But the sheet or bath towel hanging from a rope works great.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I know I can easily build a catchbox, and I've made a couple in the past. I don't feel like building another because I'd rather spend my time shooting. I bought one from simpleshot, but it's a very small 15"X15" if that.

When I googled catchboxes, the ones that popped up were just as small or smaller.

I'm wondering if I can purchase a larger catchbox, Something like a 4ft.X4ft.(or anything really) where I can hang multiple targets, rather than just one.

Again, I know that I can build one just as easy, I seen another post where a gentleman said "it's my money, I can spend it how I want to."
If you can find a used plastic barrel on the cheap (I get them free) they make great catch barrels with a minimum amount of build time because the barrels are already built. You can use a piece of all-thread rod to hang your catch sheet which for me are just pillow cases in black that sell for $5 a pair at Walmart (Mainstay brand) and hung only at the top.

I hang the spinners from Kevlar cord which has never broken from a hit. You may want to give this strategy some thought as it can be as simple or as complicated as you like and you can have one made from start to finish in under an hour. It's important to mark out the shooting gap and start by cutting large diameter holes at the corners. This seems to help the barrel hold it's shape better. Picture below is of three different sizes I have made.

Left one is from a 55 gallon barrel, center is from a 15 gallon barrel and far right is made from a 30 gallon size. I installed a circular LED dome light in the two larger sizes for shooting indoors but it's totally optional.

Catch rate is generally 100% but an occasional spinner hit may toss a ball out a few feet. Not a problem indoors as they will be laying on the carpet a couple of feet from the barrel. Outdoors those very few may be lost in the grass. I've made several so far and still have as many barrels as I am willing to store left over if I needed or wanted to make more.

Since portability has no meaning for my use and almost all my shooting is indoors, I'm using a 55 gallon size almost all the time.

If I needed to transport one I would choose the 15 gallon size. All are given a very generous shooting opening because indoors missing the opening would be a disaster.

Some in the picture show the targets held by parachord but all have been changed to Kevlar cord and all targets are now the orange silicone targets from China. When I destroy a target it takes all of 2 minutes to change it out but they will take a lot of punishment and last a long time. So far the orange silicone spinners have proven to be the most cost efficient targets I have used.

Blue Azure Rectangle Waste container Waste containment

Attachments

·
Banned
193 Posts
I bought two bales of alfalfa hay yesterday for my horse and noticed the feed store had blue plastic barrels already cut out as hay feeders, They were cut exactly as needed to be used as a catch barrel. Just drill the holes for the rod to hang a backdrop and tsrgets. Next time, I'll ask how much?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the Tip on the hay feeders Renegade shooter, I'll check it out.
I already worn out this catchbox from simpleshot only after 2-3 weeks. I need to send them an e-mail letting them know how poorly their product holds up after heavy use.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Old bed linen or bath towels hanging on a bar or a tree branch in a layered manner work wonders...no need to fuss around with complexity. The ammo will simply slide to the ground. Obviously, always check what is behind your setup, just in case. It's too late when you hear the neighbor yelling... :eek:.

Bits of string to hang to tin cans or corrugated cardboard with marked circles (or whatever else) are all that is needed for targets.

As they say, keep it simple...

·
Banned
193 Posts
Check out the back drop Perry Atkinson uses from A+Slingshots. On his website he shoots against a bed sheet hanging on a rope stretched in his back yard.....as his hunting dog retrieves his ammo after each shot for him to reuse.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for the Tip on the hay feeders Renegade shooter, I'll check it out.
I already worn out this catchbox from simpleshot only after 2-3 weeks. I need to send them an e-mail letting them know how poorly their product holds up after heavy use.
If your looking for a nice looking catch barrel, you can get the barrels for little or nothing from many food producing companies and a lot of car washes get soap in both the 15 gallon and 30 gallon sizes. Chances are good they would either give you one or sell it for around $5. They most likely give them to barrel re-sellers already.

Once you get the barrel you can turn out a finished catch barrel in under an hour. Radius the corners with at least a 4" hole saw and cut straight lines between with a course jig saw blade. Don't make the shooting hole overly large or the barrel will lose it's shape. If you hang a single pillow case only from the top and center of the barrel you can expect both the pillow case and the barrel to last for several years. The trick to making a pillow case work is leaving the bottom free hanging so it can bounce back and absorb the energy of the shot. I've made 6, have at least 8 more barrels stored but I'm still shooting into the original one and the original pillow case. I have yet to damage a single pillow case in many, many thousands of shots. It's the fastest way I know of to get a catch (box) built that will look decent and last as the shape is already there to start with. All you really need is to cut the shooting opening and hang a rod to hold your pillow case and a cord to hold your spinner. I started out hanging targets from para-chord but have found heavy weight test Kevlar line to be as indestructible as you can get. The cord is sold at Amazon for several different uses including kite line.

One roll should be a lifetime supply. The Kevlar line is expensive and I only have it because we bought a roll for kayak rudder steering cables and had most of the roll left over. I'm not sure I would be willing to by a roll just for hanging targets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZBOK7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Reactions: RenegadeShooter

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had an hour to run around today, so I went to Walmart to look for a clothing cupboard, and they didn't have any. So, what I purchased was a heavy duty plastic dresser drawer that I'm going to hollow out with a sawzall, and keep the bottom drawer to catch the slingshot ammo. I also bought a few dowels to run through so I can hang cans and such. I'm happy with the purchase because this is the perfect size that I envisioned a catchbox should be, for what I want to use it for.

The next question is what to use as a backstop. When I'm slingshot shooting and I miss, I always miss in the exact same spot, which eventually drills a hole through what ever I use. I've used sheets, shirts, pants, and even the mesh material that is used in the simpleshot catchbox has holes going completely through already. I looked at curtains but they seemed like too weak as well. what I bought was a canvas dropcloth that painters use, but Looking closely at it, I'm not sure how long it will last. What is the strongest, longest lasting, best material I can use for small ammo ripping fast, and shooting the same spot repeatedly? I have a bulletproof vest, but I don't think I want to go that route, unless I could find large sheets of kevlar for a decent price.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts