Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting some 17mm purpleheart to make some scales with and a cougar this Saturday and i was wondering what you guys thoughts were on this, also if neccesary I might add a light coloured afromosia palmswell?
Cheers, tom

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
it would be unique, but purple heart on a cougar? hmmmmm 17mm i would just make a whole sling shot, purple heart is a beautiful wood. it would lake the cougar look better, but on the other hand the cougar might make the purple heart look worse? interesting idea. .................................... good luck

i was just looking at it on the dankung site, dunno?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course I will file the purpleheart down to my hand size, i will see anyway. Although I am getting some 11mm African padauk to take into consideration

Cheers, tom

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
go for some step by step pics that would be cool

both are nice looking woods, very prominent colouring. the purple heart smells bad I think though haha

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
go for some step by step pics that would be cool

both are nice looking woods, very prominent colouring. the purple heart smells bad I think though haha
hows the dust on purple heart? i have been wanting to make an ss out of purple and yellow heart, but after the lignum i am kinda gun shy!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Go for it. I'm sure it will look great when done. There are a number of wood cougars for sale online and they
look quite nice but I'm sure yours will look better!
I've got a 2x4 of purple heart I need someone to resaw for me locally then I will be doing the same thing with
it.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
hows the dust on purple heart? i have been wanting to make an ss out of purple and yellow heart, but after the lignum i am kinda gun shy!
its not too bad, the wood is quite hard (be easy after the lignum
)but nice to shape, I just find the smell really sickly

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks allot Sean!
, but yeah ill go up to 1200. Grit sandpaper with it and coat it with a clear varnish to keep the original colour

Cheers, tom

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
I love how different exotic woods smell so unique, Personal favourite cocobolo even though the dust is an irritant.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you want a good smelling wood, padauk all the way! It smells like warm popcorn when cut, especially if it burns. I personally think the padauk would look better on the cougar, but it's your choice. Be warned: purpleheart burns VERY easily and will darken to a musky brown with age. Padauk turns a rich red. I have a slingshot made out of 8-year old padauk and it looks great, while old purpleheart isn't exactly the nicest looking. You would want to use a UV-protectant finish on the purpleheart to maintain the color longer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can do 5 coats of tung oil and then 3-4 coats of spar varnish or outdoor-grade poly, just make sure it's oil based. Minwax is a good choice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, very well. Oil sticks to oil. I do tung oil then poly on all my frames now. Just don't do oil based then water based, or vice versa. Just teak oil works too if you want a satin finish rather than gloss.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
purpleheart is pretty nice

1 - 20 of 26 Posts