Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching Portboy bringing a natural back from the dead I wanted to share a similar experience for those newer makers out there that may have a doomed fork in their ‘to be burned’ pile.

I had butchered this natty to the point of no return and right before it was to be torched I recalled seeing the Ring Shooter idea posted by Grandpa Grumpy and a few other members here on the Forum.
I spent maybe 50cents at the hardware store for the eye-screws. In the shop I had the rest of what I needed. Because I was in an experimental mode I used regular quick epoxy with two different colors of epoxy ink,TightBond, brass pins, and even some UV glue that I had laying around. For the overall finish I used some recycled BLO rubbed on and a wax buff after that.
The fingers gnubs were lined up to match my TopShot which I shoot very well. Now it turns out I shoot this WartHog better than a couple of my other ‘marble only’ frames. Why? I think because I don’t give a ratsazz about this frame. I mean that in a way that makes sense. I can’t hurt it, I can’t make it uglier. If the Rangers pull up on me I can chuck it in the lake or beyond. Somehow that mental freedom allows me to use a floating anchor and let it rip.
I don’t want to be considered a collector. However I’ve got some frames that would make me cry if I accidentally kicked it across the driveway or whacked the fork with a boneheaded release. Those frames I will shoot only when the shooting conditions are pristine. Even then I think I spend too much time thinking about what I DON’T want to happen instead of focusing on the target. So the moral of my story is to avoid tossing a makery mistake, go make yourself a Ring Shooter and let it rip!
Hand Finger Gesture Wood Cutting mat
Green Cutting mat Working animal Fawn Horse
Wood Fawn Natural material Snout Hardwood

·
Mojave Mo
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats an awesome frame. Puts me in mind of a Rams head. After seeing what grampa grumpy did to a can with his ring shooter and office rubber, im seriously considering adding a ring shooter to the arsenal.
It is honestly a strange thing to be able to cobble together a no-nothing frame like this and have it shoot so well.

·
Mojave Mo
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MO, that’s slicker n snot on a glass doorknob bro !

Did the eye rings come black or did you dip or paint them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I paid an extra dollar or so for the black. I hadn’t seen those before and believe they were sold as anodized. Sure enough I think I scratched them while installing. Next time I’ll paint them myself like I do on my F-16 mods.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Nice one Mo 😎 me Carl just talking the other day about new people asking was the most accurate frame or what’s best hunting frame all that blabla stuff we here all the time . Or they see a top shooter with a fancy frame just hitting the mark all the time . So they think if they get that frame they be a top shot 🤭. Frames don’t need to be fancy or big money comes down to practice and mind set putting your time in . I got a couple warthog frames shoot like dreams but like you say I don’t care if something happens to em . Btw cool frame Mo

·
Neophyte
2,054 Posts
How are you feeling Raven?
Better than yesterday, hopefully not as good as tomorrow :) so far only mild pain, easily controlled, getting the range of motion / strength back too.

·
Mojave Mo
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice one Mo 😎 me Carl just talking the other day about new people asking was the most accurate frame or what’s best hunting frame all that blabla stuff we here all the time . Or they see a top shooter with a fancy frame just hitting the mark all the time . So they think if they get that frame they be a top shot 🤭. Frames don’t need to be fancy or big money comes down to practice and mind set putting your time in . I got a couple warthog frames shoot like dreams but like you say I don’t care if something happens to em . Btw cool frame Mo
I think the first post I ever made here on the Forum was looking to buy a custom made PP or SS frame. For the year after that I figured I needed a YSYEO frame in order to be a high level shooter. Funny growing up as kid with just about nothing and feeling like the king of the neighborhood with just a pocketful of round rocks!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I think the first post I ever made here on the Forum was looking to buy a custom made PP or SS frame. For the year after that I figured I needed a YSYEO frame in order to be a high level shooter. Funny growing up as kid with just about nothing and feeling like the king of the neighborhood with just a pocketful of round rocks!
We had rail tracks and grain elevator there was piles of iron ore lots of round ones but so light hard find them round right size rocks haha like gold man 🏆

·
Mojave Mo
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats an awesome frame. Puts me in mind of a Rams head. After seeing what grampa grumpy did to a can with his ring shooter and office rubber, im seriously considering adding a ring shooter to the arsenal.
Yo brother the only problem you are going to have with this project is that it usually starts with a train wreck of a natty! I’ve em’ all over the place if you need a hookup!🤣🤣😳

1 - 17 of 17 Posts