Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I met a gentleman who my neighbor said was really good with a slingshot back in Mexico. He said " would like you to build me one. There are many birds on my farm." I said that I was a little touchy about shooting something just to watch it jump and fall. He said no no no many birds on my farm and I'm going to eat them. So to make a long story even longer, I'm going to make him a bird shooter. I doubt if he is going to take care of it or be able to find bands for it. So, after watching GG post on 117B, I ordered and received box. also ordered some 1/4" ammo.

My question....Is that combination going to be enough poop to kill a dove cleanly and quickly? I know you shot the heck out of a steel can, but can't recall the distance or circumstances. What ya think guys?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I personally don't think that combination is a good idea. You would definitely have to get a head shot. Even 3/8" steel traveling at 190 fps probably would not cleanly kill a dove with a body shot.

I think most people prefer heavier lead ammo traveling around 200 fps for hunting.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep the 1/4 inch steel for yourself.

Give your bird slayer marbles, and band the shooter with 2 117bs per side.

That should do the job.
All Right! Just about everything I know about shooting rubber bands, I learned from KawKan and GG. Thanks guys. This forum is great!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice advice.
Sounds like you may have found another shooter for your team. How's the practice going?
Been so hot that I've been shooting indoors. My setup is down a hallway (thank God I'm widowed, My wife would jump and spin if she saw the pile of pillows, cushions, and T-shirts that I have piled up!) I only have about 22 feet, but that is enough to work on form. My young friend hasn't shown for three days, I may have to take them on alone. Which is fine. We sorta had it setup for Mon 2 Sept. But now I'm told one of their guys wants to work as it is double time. Going to be hard to get them together if not Labor day. If it falls through, I still am a lot better shooter than I would have been without the challenge. I may have to break out the pistol and challenge myself!

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Nice advice.
Sounds like you may have found another shooter for your team. How's the practice going?
Been so hot that I've been shooting indoors. My setup is down a hallway (thank God I'm widowed, My wife would jump and spin if she saw the pile of pillows, cushions, and T-shirts that I have piled up!) I only have about 22 feet, but that is enough to work on form. My young friend hasn't shown for three days, I may have to take them on alone. Which is fine. We sorta had it setup for Mon 2 Sept. But now I'm told one of their guys wants to work as it is double time. Going to be hard to get them together if not Labor day. If it falls through, I still am a lot better shooter than I would have been without the challenge. I may have to break out the pistol and challenge myself!

I hear ya on the heat brother. Hard to get motivated outside right now. Sure will be glad when we can go outside again. We're getting close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts