Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making a wire frame with match stick attachment.How does the short end go over or under the U .I am thinking short end up so it kinda protects the main band ! But I am wrong most times ,any help be awesome never had an attachment this style ???? the pics probably ask my question better . Port Boy ????????

Attachments

·
Mojave Mo
5,160 Posts
Oh boy Port Boy! You've done put together a TexShooter OTT wireframe matchstick frame?? I'm envious whenever I see Tex showing off his very simple, very 'boring', and obviously very accurate kit.
On my JD Waters TTF I lay over the short piece. I've done it this way because it looks cleaner to me.
2849797a9e64b90af03ea04800db06cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mo that’s what I was thinking I was also thinking the band tension add security to it from slipping.I was playing with it and I don’t think it slip the other way but any added security be good .Thanks bud ! Ya I am taking a kick at a Tex ott it’s a bit ugly at the minute but I think all frames hit that point lol it will get better

·
Mojave Mo
5,160 Posts
Hey Mo that's what I was thinking I was also thinking the band tension add security to it from slipping.I was playing with it and I don't think it slip the other way but any added security be good .Thanks bud ! Ya I am taking a kick at a Tex ott it's a bit ugly at the minute but I think all frames hit that point lol it will get better
So may I inquire if that was a 'hot bend' cut off of a bolt, or cold, or...?? TIG, MIG, or....? If it is a trade secret I understand!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I still get amazed by the world of slingshots. Facinating. I've always dealt with tie-on bands and, having had a bad experience with the ocularis type of attachment, I have stayed away from other "jamming" types of attachment systems. Does this system ever loosen with time?

·
Super Moderator
6,680 Posts
Either way is fine Port Boy. The short end would act like a cushion against the inside of the throat ( in case it wasn't smooth )when used in a TTT set-up which would help in premature band wear. Any other set-up the difference is minimal. Nice job BTW!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Mine is a over the top and I put the long end on top because of my anchor point! Also I use 1018 cold roll steel as it bends hot better than hot roll. I round off the tip. heat it and stick in a 1/4 inch hole close to the edge in steel (slightly enlarged) to bend. Then I cut the longer side so I can easily round off the other end. After it is cold I put it in a vice with a shim to squeeze it to the proper opening width!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Mine is a over the top and I put the long end on top because of my anchor point! Also I use 1018 cold roll steel as it bends hot better than hot roll. I round off the tip. heat it and stick in a 1/4 inch hole close to the edge in steel (slightly enlarged) to bend. Then I cut the longer side so I can easily round off the other end. After it is cold I put it in a vice with a shim to squeeze it to the proper opening width! By the way, I use a 1/16 square gum rubber piece to lock the bands in place.

Reactions: Tag

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Mo that's what I was thinking I was also thinking the band tension add security to it from slipping.I was playing with it and I don't think it slip the other way but any added security be good .Thanks bud ! Ya I am taking a kick at a Tex ott it's a bit ugly at the minute but I think all frames hit that point lol it will get better
So may I inquire if that was a 'hot bend' cut off of a bolt, or cold, or...?? TIG, MIG, or....? If it is a trade secret I understand!

i will do another post later on in the home made sec .working nights this week !

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still get amazed by the world of slingshots. Facinating. I've always dealt with tie-on bands and, having had a bad experience with the ocularis type of attachment, I have stayed away from other "jamming" types of attachment systems. Does this system ever loosen with time?
from what i can tell from playing with it last night .It binds up well but u just have to push up or down on paracord to loosen off .So u might run into problems in and out of pockets .that said i have no idea if my gap is right kinda winging it ! but i have also had wrap and tuck loosen off from going into pockets .Just messing around

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Either way is fine Port Boy. The short end would act like a cushion against the inside of the throat ( in case it wasn't smooth )when used in a TTT set-up which would help in premature band wear. Any other set-up the difference is minimal. Nice job BTW!
Thanks for the reply :D I have some pics to put up later on i am close to finished ! its looking not bad

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is a over the top and I put the long end on top because of my anchor point! Also I use 1018 cold roll steel as it bends hot better than hot roll. I round off the tip. heat it and stick in a 1/4 inch hole close to the edge in steel (slightly enlarged) to bend. Then I cut the longer side so I can easily round off the other end. After it is cold I put it in a vice with a shim to squeeze it to the proper opening width!
I bent mine almost the same way .Thanks for the input ! I always liked your ott wire frame so i had to try doing one B)

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Looks good to me! It looks like that you plan to hold it with a thumb and forefinger grip. I hold mine with a hammer grip, so I think that mine is a bit lower. If you did not have the swell on the bottom of the handle, you could split a dowel epoxy it on then drive a foam grip over it for comfort. I have a few foam grips! You could also epoxy finger rest on it, maybe foam, or maybe you have something else planned. - Cheers

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Looks good to me! It looks like that you plan to hold it with a thumb and forefinger grip. I hold mine with a hammer grip, so I think that mine is a bit lower. If you did not have the swell on the bottom of the handle, you could split a dowel epoxy it on then drive a foam grip over it for comfort. I have a few foam grips! You could also epoxy finger rest on it, maybe foam, or maybe you have something else planned. - Cheers

Reactions: Tag and 31610

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I made 3 in 2002 like the first photo, then in 2005 I made 5 (not with this handle shown) like the second photo. The second photo is the one that I still shoot today and the only one that I still have. Then I made 3 in 2006 like the third photo and still have one of these (no welding), but it makes it too big for me.

Blue Wood Religious item Metal Household hardware
Bicycle handlebar Wood Bicycle fork Grey Cross
Product Sports equipment Material property Gas Electric blue

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow you have my mind going now ! I was thinking a wood handle but like u said I have to knock the nut off. Might keep this one simple and try another one that's more involved.Thanks my friend

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I made 3 in 2002 like the first photo, then in 2005 I made 5 (not with this handle shown) like the second photo. The second photo is the one that I still shoot today and the only one that I still have. Then I made 3 in 2006 like the third photo and still have one of these (no welding), but it makes it too big for me.
attachicon.gif
IM000309.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSCF3713.JPG
attachicon.gif
One Bar.JPG
Very nice work like them all For the binder do u use a matchstick or small piece of tube or paracord what works the best ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts