Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
Mine is a over the top and I put the long end on top because of my anchor point! Also I use 1018 cold roll steel as it bends hot better than hot roll. I round off the tip. heat it and stick in a 1/4 inch hole close to the edge in steel (slightly enlarged) to bend. Then I cut the longer side so I can easily round off the other end. After it is cold I put it in a vice with a shim to squeeze it to the proper opening width!

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
Mine is a over the top and I put the long end on top because of my anchor point! Also I use 1018 cold roll steel as it bends hot better than hot roll. I round off the tip. heat it and stick in a 1/4 inch hole close to the edge in steel (slightly enlarged) to bend. Then I cut the longer side so I can easily round off the other end. After it is cold I put it in a vice with a shim to squeeze it to the proper opening width! By the way, I use a 1/16 square gum rubber piece to lock the bands in place.

Reactions: Tag

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
Looks good to me! It looks like that you plan to hold it with a thumb and forefinger grip. I hold mine with a hammer grip, so I think that mine is a bit lower. If you did not have the swell on the bottom of the handle, you could split a dowel epoxy it on then drive a foam grip over it for comfort. I have a few foam grips! You could also epoxy finger rest on it, maybe foam, or maybe you have something else planned. - Cheers

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
Looks good to me! It looks like that you plan to hold it with a thumb and forefinger grip. I hold mine with a hammer grip, so I think that mine is a bit lower. If you did not have the swell on the bottom of the handle, you could split a dowel epoxy it on then drive a foam grip over it for comfort. I have a few foam grips! You could also epoxy finger rest on it, maybe foam, or maybe you have something else planned. - Cheers

Reactions: Tag and 31610

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
I made 3 in 2002 like the first photo, then in 2005 I made 5 (not with this handle shown) like the second photo. The second photo is the one that I still shoot today and the only one that I still have. Then I made 3 in 2006 like the third photo and still have one of these (no welding), but it makes it too big for me.

Blue Wood Religious item Metal Household hardware
Bicycle handlebar Wood Bicycle fork Grey Cross
Product Sports equipment Material property Gas Electric blue

Attachments

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
:thumbsup:

Reactions: 31610

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
I use a 1/16 by 1/16 strip of gum rubber, never had a problem with it! On the one one that I shoot yet. there is a piece of red heater hose (like the first) then a piece of Kralon tube over that, then a dowel driven in to lock, then the foam driven on with a little alcohol. There was a dowel driven the first one also.

Reactions: 31610
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.