Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a method that is working ok to groove the wooden forks, a wood carving groove tool then sand paper around a thick flat metal handled tool for the roughing part of the catty but what method of making the grooves are you using? There must be an easier way.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
3/8 inch round wood file. Tex

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I use this drill bit, i score a line all the way round the fork them put the drill bit on it side and you get a nice even smooth grove all the way round, jeff

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use this drill bit, i score a line all the way round the fork them put the drill bit on it side and you get a nice even smooth grove all the way round, jeff
I thought I have looked at all the bits a H. Depot but I guess I missed that one. I will have to look for that.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Actually I use a router on 3 sides and a 3/8 diameter inch file on the forth. However I figgered that some one would want somthing cheap and I have used the file on all four sides. It is fine if you are making one or two at a time. Tex

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Dremel with 3 cutting wheels together.... or Dremel router attachment

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
I do my Dremel tool by hand with a round (1/8") diameter Structered Cardbide bit.Make a pencil mark around the post,and then just follow it around with the tool at medium speed. Flatband

·
Registered
56 Posts
i use my table saw set really low for board cuts then use a chainsaw file to round it out and cut out the sides, for tree forks I have used the chainsaw file all the way around before and I have also done a plunge notch on just one side like rufus hussey both ways hold just as well, the chainsaw file notch looks a little more professional though.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Dremel with carbide burr, followed by 3/16" chain saw file for touch up. Pencil line to start, free follow line with dremel.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Audio equipment Wood Bicycle part Gadget Rotary tool
Here is what I use. You can even use it to do some rough shaping too!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts