Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm enjoying planning several frame builds. This is such an entertaining hobby and making frames gives the builder limitless opportunity for creating art in wood/metal/synthetics. The beauty I see exhibited here when all you other members share photos of your creations just floors me. Mercy I hope one day to be able to craft such functional pieces of beauty.
Here's something I think I'm seeing. Please correct me if I'm missing something.
First let's use handguns as a comparative. Smaller calibers usually----emphasis on usually---- are physically smaller than their large caliber brethren. Except for handguns meant to replicate larger handguns to aid training, and discounting the large frame small caliber target handguns, most small caliber handguns are physically smaller than large caliber ones.
Slingshots appear to me though to be built large enough to handle the largest ammo one would likely shoot from it. Unless I'm missing proportions in the beautiful photos shared here, a custom SS meant to shoot exclusively 6mm (1/4 inch) ammo with bands 3/8 inch wide tapering to 5/16 inch still seems to be made full size like it could handle 1 inch-3/4 inch taper bands.
I'd considered crafting my slingshots proportionally smaller and with a more delicate shape for smaller ammo, at least down to the size where I could still hold it well.
Sort of a "vest pocket" slingshot like a .25 ACP vest pocket pistol of years gone by.
Is this build proportioning happening and I'm overlooking it?
Thanks. Don

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good points you make. I admire the selection and see the versatility you describe.
As for me I envision crafting a series of slingshot frames. Just for the joy of design and creation. Each frame staying banded up with what I learn is the ideal set for the given ammo that frame is dedicated to, with overall size reflecting the size of the ammo. Guess idea is rather boring in concept to some.
Hey. It's something to shoot for.
Thank you for your time in replying.
Don

1 - 2 of 2 Posts