·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Those are some nice jigs.

I'm looking to make a jig soon. Probably with toggle clamps though - just can't seem to find spring clamps strong enough.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Okay, I might have the quickest and dirtiest band rig that's so basic and easy it's not even worth taking a photo of.

I simply use hooks attached with zip ties. One side is attached to a desk-side drawer handle, the other side is on the chair I sit on, tied off at approximately the same height as the other hook. When I want to make bands I pre-clip the bands and pouch on both sides, pull out the drawer, slide my chair close enough (while all the time sitting in it) and hook the clips on both sides. The beauty of the system (if it even qualifies to be called that) is that I can then adjust the stretch by closing the drawer. My drawers are a little stiff, so it works out. I adjust the drawer to get the stretch, tie each side off and when I am done, I just open the drawer to relax the stretch, unhook the clips, un-clip the ends and trim the loose ends.

I set it up out of necessity for a quick fix when I started out and its worked well enough that I have never bothered making a band jig after.

·
Premium Member
9,607 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Reactions: Tag

·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts
Joe - when I tied only tubes, the small clamps worked fine, but for heavier flats, I needed the larger, stronger clamps. The small clamps perch on a fat o-ring near the top of the 3/16 cold rolled when being used, but are set aside if I need the stronger clamps which stay in place once stretch tension is in play.

Jake - you a funny guy. :)

Reactions: Tag

·
OldMiser
3,543 Posts
it helps with bigger clamps..as do too some arthurtis in the finger joints..fingers get stiff & do not function that well...so all the little

extra help is needed......yeah devils son in law wait till your about 65 years old see if you hands don't change any.....

just my opinion on this jig stuff.....akaOldmiser

1 - 14 of 14 Posts