Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I haven't done much with slingshots in a couple years but decided to get back to it and made a quick natural today. Took my son hiking through the woods, gathered some unknown forks, and settled on my favorite. Do yall think it can make a decent slingshot?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I picked up a box to give them a try. They will pretty good so hopefully they will make some good bands. What's the usual size for bands? My draws about 28" if I just anchor to cheek.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Anybody used the spri exercise bands from Walmart for bands?
Guilty as charged, sir. For $9.95 you get 3 lengths of latex based band material, one light, one medium and one heavy. I am learning how to cut and assemble bands. If I screw up a SPRI band - no big deal.

I cut the gray (heavy) into 7/8" strips. I do not bother tapering. I use 2 lengths per side. Perfect for 3/8" steel, 5/8" marbles, and 1/2" clay. I cut the blue (medium) into 1.5" ( one and a half inch) strips and fold them length wise, 1 folded length per side. Plenty of power to launch the same ammo. I generally use 6" of active band length so I am not over stretching them. They seem to last a long time.

I have about the same draw length as you. I am primarily a paper target shooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I finished it up today and got a little shooting in. I really like it. Shoots really nice and accurate. I tested the power on a brick and the egg sinker I was shooting flattened on impact. Still not sure if it's enough power for hunting but I'll keep playing with it and get it dialed in.

Attachments

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,154 Posts
Anybody used the spri exercise bands from Walmart for bands?
Those are what I started out with, and if you get the ones WITH latex, they will do to start, but you'll eventually want to move up to some

snappier and better latex bands...........even try Theraband Blue, Black, Gold next, then Precise bands maybe....but, the Spri bands will certainly

work for you.

Like the old school look of the sling, and think you and your son will have a blast together, just make to to teach him the same safety rules as would apply

to a firearm, but have fun.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,154 Posts
Good to know Blue Raja I was planning to use 6" or so of active band as well. Did you use a razor to cut them?
easiest way to cut flat bands @FloridaMan, is to use a self healing mat from Walmart, a long plastic ruler /straight edge, and a roller cutter like quilters use.....all available

at Wally World...........OR........get in touch with @Bone and buy one of his new band cutting jigs, I am hearing nothing but positive things about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.