Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's very interesting. I'm a newbie and just cut a fork from a maple tree in my yard. I peeled the bark, left it overnight, then put in my food dehydrator, I'll check back tomorrow!

The heat gun is a great idea, I guess the trick is knowing when to back off!

Thanks for the idea!

shooter_g

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks great.....is Alder a hard wood to work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has a little less SG than Birch. So it is in the same ball park. I use this Southern Alaska Red Alder as smoking wood for silver salmon and moose flank jerky, so the smell of it toasting makes both my dog and I salivate. Which reminds me... I need to get a batch of fish in the brine...

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So cooking wood low and slow really hardens it up. It helps add strength and stiffness to wood fibres. ( I occasionally make selfbows and toasting the belly on white woods is a time honored practice that predates written language) My question is when cooked at this higher temperature am I merely searing the steak leaving the core raw? Is it enough to harden the outer fibers?

I know it does not matter as a slingshot has no flex, but could I take a lesser wood like Willow or white pine and toast it to make a skinny frame heavy band ready? If so what method would provide the best results?

Perhaps this is a topic for another thread....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.