Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I have in the last 2 days or 3 days discovered these simple, but useful, items.
So useful for keeping track of your average distance on the trail... combined with a map and compass I will be decent wayfarer.

I could try to explain these and rip away all the fun... but Cpl. Kelly of Youtube is a much more qualified teacher. And he loves all tye knots I love and taught me to teach em easier and more fun. He also has much of my recently discovered favorite gear... like a Morakniv Eldris... Plus he is a USMC Cpl.! Gotta love those men and women. Without further rambling

Attachments

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I have a few sets of pace counting beads that I use when out bushwhacking. We are fortunate to have a really nice permanent Orienteering course nearby, provided by the local National Guard. It's on public land but they don't advertise it, so it's like a hidden little gem.

I have found out that being out in the woods after dark, my steps are usually much shorther than in the daylight.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I ran point for a long time and a pace count helps a lot with the distance you travel I did not watch the video but your day time pace count and your nite time pace count is different so do both a ranger bead helps you with how many clicks you have travelled.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
How about using the step counter app on your cell phone? Or does it not work in no cell service areas? I that case use a belt clip pedometer.
I prefer redundancy and using my mind. And step counters and apps require a power source... just in case scenarios and hiking should be (in my opinion) power source non-reliant.

Also on my belt there is no real room left for any more attachments.
The app could be a decent options since it adds no weight and takes up no more space... but other than taking pics & videos my phone is turned off ans stored in a ziplock bag with silica packs.

Plus they make your pack look really cute.

Attachments

Reactions: skarrd

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tag, Cpl. Kelly is my new fixation... his skills set is my desired skills set minus a slingshot.
I would almost message him and sent him one. I feel like he would digest the information and come up with something new for us all.
All that said I do realize he has many more skill sets that I respect, but do not wish to have... and he may not wish to become a slinger in lieu of maintaining his other shooting skills.
But we all know slingshots have a certain charm of their own.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have counted my paces forever... and gear, light levels, fatigue, my R.A., stature, etc... change your paces.
But the bead system I never knew about. Just kept track in my head... which has become less reliable.

Walking while counting and observing/listening to the woods or streams is more than cathartic to me.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Marine meditation pay attention and use the beads.

Reactions: Tag
1 - 11 of 11 Posts