Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a bow, plus a release and lots of arrows. It was a complete set, based on the razor edge by Diamond, a Bowtech brand.

I want to use it for two purposes:

1. Comparison with my slingbows (this model can be adjusted between 30lbs and 60lbs).

2. Conversion to shoot slingshot ammo (my plan is to attach a set of steel tubes that will function like a barrel for lead and steel balls, with the bowstring accelerating the ball).

Will see!

http://www.diamondarchery.com/bow_razoredge_2010.php

Jörg

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cost about 350 Euros, complete with all the add-ons (arrow rest, fiber optic sight, 4 arrow quiver and so on).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bowtech makes great bows you'll be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
855 Posts
2. Conversion to shoot slingshot ammo (my plan is to attach a set of steel tubes that will function like a barrel for lead and steel balls, with the bowstring accelerating the ball).
Are you planning something like that pellet gun bow attachment you were experimenting with awhile ago (only on a larger scale), or something different?

I think it was called the Airow Gun or something.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I plan to make something like the airow gun.

But instead of driving a dowel that creates air pressure which drives the pellet, I plan to directly shoot balls driven by the bowstring.

The ball simply replaces the arrow.

The "device" (really only some kind of slotted barrel with a ball magazine) will be detachable so you can go back to arrows whenever you want to.

Lead balls and arrows are comparable in weight, so I expect very decent power from the setup. The airow gun looses much energy due to the pneumatic conversion of the stroke, that won't be the case with my idea. There will be some friction, though.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also have a far more simple idea... I will try to attach a small neodyme magnet (5mmx5mmx5mm) to the bowstring. The steel balls will hold with about the same resistance to the magnet as an arrow that is knocked onto the bowstring.

Much like this, only with a neodyme magnet in it!

http://bogensportwelt.de/TRU-Ball-Ultra-Nock

I am very eager to compare the impact of a ball shooting bow with a rubber driven slingshot.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bow arrived. Wow! I did not realize how far the manufacturers brought the concept. This tiny bow weighs less than some of my slingshots. I set it to max power and draw length, then shot at my poor target tree. The arrow (with a practice tip) went so far in that I had to pull very hard in order to get it out. The tip was driven deep into the aluminium shaft, which tore in order to make room for the tip.

No slingbow can come even close to this powerhouse.

If I can make this thing shoot balls, we shall see a new dimension of ball shooting weapons driven with muscle power.

Jörg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Modern compound bows are amazing devices. Even a cheap "slow" compound is 250+ fps IBO speed. Then there are the Small compounds with axle to axle length of not much more than 30 inches, they look almost toy like but can send an arrow straight through a large animal.

Also compared to slingshots, compound bows have much shorter draw lengths yet are much more powerful. Compare the draw length of an average compound archer to the draw length of many slingshooters who use fork extensions, half butterfly draws etc.

·
Resident Nutcase
132 Posts
If you like the bowtech "arrow gun", best order it with the Razor Edge Diamond bow. The bow by itself is 400.00 and the arrow gun another 225. BUT, by ordering the complete package its only a little over 400.00 which means you get the bow for 200 bucks less.

Why buy just the bow when you can get the whole package for the same price as the bow by itself. BTW, the arrow gun can get over 700fps with a pull over 50 lbs. Thats smokin'. A heavier ball like Joerg likes to shoot would not get close to that however.

Are you planning something like that pellet gun bow attachment you were experimenting with awhile ago (only on a larger scale), or something different?

I think it was called the Airow Gun or something.
[/quote]

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
BTW, the arrow gun can get over 700fps with a pull over 50 lbs. Thats smokin'.
No kidding that's smoking! I thought the world record for a compound bow shooting an arrow was under 600fps. Tell us more.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The thing is that you need a projectile that is heavy enough not to blow up your bow. You really don't want to go much under under IBO standards. I have been in the Archery shop when someone dry-fired a bow. Not good and not safe to shoot it again. You could get a led ball heavy enough to travel at 300fps; now that would be a heavy hitter!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
hey joerg, just a thought. have you thought about using a recurve style pull back (with bow string) you could attach some type of pouch and i belive you would get a major power increase. just a sugestion i thought would be cool

1 - 20 of 31 Posts