Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
hey joerg, just a thought. have you thought about using a recurve style pull back (with bow string) you could attach some type of pouch and i belive you would get a major power increase. just a sugestion i thought would be cool
Again no. You will blow up the bow if the projectile doesn't have enough mass. I know this because I make bows and I've seen them destroyed by dry firing them (no arrow or too light of an arrow). Sorry guys, but with the best bow, you will get only a few shots until the bow is damaged. If you could get 600fps+ out of a bow without breaking it, guys would be using arrows 1/2 the grains. They don't because it's not safe. Again, you could shoot a heavy ball 320fps.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The thing is that you need a projectile that is heavy enough not to blow up your bow. You really don't want to go much under under IBO standards. I have been in the Archery shop when someone dry-fired a bow. Not good and not safe to shoot it again. You could get a led ball heavy enough to travel at 300fps; now that would be a heavy hitter!
Absolutly

As a bow shooter, i saw several time archers making a dry fire with their compound bow, and i can tell you, it is freightening!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Do you think a replacement of the string, with elastic might be interesting? I know it may not work on the compound, but it was just an idea.
yes, if you were to make something out of wood or metal that resembled a bow you could attach bands. i dont think it would be very powerful like joergs other designs but it is deffinitly a good idea.

·
Resident Nutcase
132 Posts
there is already a making a bow with powerbands. Should be a link to it on Mels site (slingshots of the world). Heres a vid of a rad new bow, with a rad looking crossbow in the background:

Also a fellow by the name of Stan Wing holds a patent on a powerband "bow", and he uses it to bowfish a lot. Theres a link to it on compounding slingshots forum here I think. Very sweet design.

Do you think a replacement of the string, with elastic might be interesting? I know it may not work on the compound, but it was just an idea.
yes, if you were to make something out of wood or metal that resembled a bow you could attach bands. i dont think it would be very powerful like joergs other designs but it is deffinitly a good idea.
[/quote]

·
Registered
106 Posts
A cheap target that makes arrow pulling easier and reduces damage is a plain burlap sack stuffed firmly with old plastic bags, sheets of plastic and such. Sometimes you can get a bunch of it from car, boat or motorcycle dealers who often receive their vehicles shrink wrapped in plastic.
frosty2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bows are deceptivley powerfull. Like crossbows. Even my Barnett :Lil Sioux 15 pound recourve that i paid 30 euros for sent the target arrow through my front door. Luckily my woman didnt mind as i filled and touched up the hole. ( Though my Black Widow sling (also by Barnett)) sent a steel bb through my bathroom door and smashed the sink in half about 15 years ago ..I glued it back together also as my mother watched in horror. haha )

both lessons learned mind

But you cant compare rubber's kinetic potential to the levered power of a bow's limbs. No contest.

The goal for organic chemists must be to develop an even sicker rubber. OR a super fiber substiute for rubber that can out perform the current standard elastic rebound properties of rubber.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I don't think the rubber is the reason for slingbows beeing less powerful than bows.

I made two slingbows that - with the same draw weight - achieve pretty much the same speed (and power) that a recurce bow achieves.

Of course they don't come close to a powerful compound bow, but that is quite clear as the compound bows allow a much higher draw weight than recurves.

Jörg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow that's awesome. A step up from the usual arrow capable slingshots.

But just carbon limbs out perform wood, perhaps an undiscovered material could out class rubber someday.

Or a mechanically with a new pulley system. I've seen your roller hinged slingshots . Are they working on the same principle as compound bows?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've seen your roller hinged slingshots . Are they working on the same principle as compound bows?
No. They just give you some additional draw length.

Compound bows need a string without slippage. Rubber is like super-super-super high slippage! Litte energy would be stored in the cams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen your roller hinged slingshots . Are they working on the same principle as compound bows?
No. They just give you some additional draw length.

Compound bows need a string without slippage. Rubber is like super-super-super high slippage! Litte energy would be stored in the cams.
[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up !!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts