Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best advice I can give for accurate shooting is to be sure you are truly seeing the target. Concentrate on it and if you feel a loss in your attention, just pause, breathe and reset for a new shot. It feels almost like you are trying to guide the ammo to the bulls-eye with the lazer of your vision. I know it sounds corny, but besides proper form and technique, seeing and holding your attention through the entire shot is key to tighter groups.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Thanks for the tip Smitty! I have to say that I have found that to be true as well. If I look at a specific point on a target and focus on it, i shoot much better. If I just look at the target in general I am more inaccurate.

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to hear some advice from Bill, Gary, Tom, Jaybird, Joerg, Geko, Mel and last, but far from the least would be the master of disaster himself........Baumstaum, or however you spell it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I sure need work on my form and technique. I broke the right yoke on my slingshot. Sometimes I shoot ok and at other times it hits the right yoke.

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is most likely from the fork not being held square, like one fork is closer to your anchor point than the other. This, if carried to the extreme, would actually cause the bands to touch each other at the fork ends. Thus a fork hit every time. Also, one band is being stretched more than the other. You probably already know this, but you never can tell sometimes how to help out a brother.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks Smitty, I need all the help I can get. Flatband has been giving me some help too. It's been so long since I actively shot slingshots that any advice is appreciated. I have a feeling that I am making it harder than it is. I may be concentrating too much instead of just picking the thing up and shooting it like I did when I was younger.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
and from my experience in shooting or throwing anything frankly, take your time!
good tips smitty
I think looking in a mirror is a great way to check form and to see if you have everything square. What Smitty said is also very important,see the ball into the target. Imagine it going right in to the center. The release of the pouch is also critical. Keep your grip light. Bill Herriman said it best" Hold it like you would a Butterfly" and keep that thumb straight! Basically it's like anything else the more you do it the better you become. Take a look at those drywall guys putting up that compound.They make it look easy. ****, when I first did it I took off more then I put on! Flatband

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking in a mirror has helped me from time to time. I found a better anchor point from the mirror by seeing that I wasn't lined up straight along the bands with my old anchor point. Another help is to have a buddy watch you shoot and mention anything that comes to mind. Another person will often see that you are "flinching" just as you release. Acquire the target and then just relax your grip on the pouch. The ammo will fly out on it's own. It really is very much like shooting a bow by using the tip of the arrow as a sighting reference when aiming. I read old Fred Bear books to learn how to shoot a bow without sights when I was in my early teens and became pretty good at hunting running jack rabbits in Texas. Lots of shooting and every day after school I would go hunt jacks. Your body slowly remembers success and you get better. I describe it as "muscle memory".

·
Registered
56 Posts
that is really some of the best advice smitty ..I like to think about it, like Im trying to burn a hole through my target with my eyes. Another good tip that i would like to add is: When you make a good shot go over that picture in your mind, try and remember the path of your ammo, slow everything down in your mind. that helps your brain more easily make the connections necessary for accurate shooting. I can remember from my archery shooting days, those few shots that were just perfect. I can remember seeing the arrow fly through the air in slow motion, I swear that I could actually see the fletchings twisting in the air as the arrow flew. same thing goes for my slingshots, every time I make a shot that i just know is perfect when i release everything just seems to slow down, and i can see that streak of silver arc towards my target. a lot of traditional archery teachers say that form is the first thing you need to learn, but concentration is what you really need to master before you can become a good shooter.

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Static. One more thing about important shooting events is to get plenty of rest. If you are tired the day of the event you won't be able to concentrate like you need to. All shooting sport success ultimately comes from a rested and alert mind with the ability to regulate breathing, posture, technique and concentration to achieve repeatable results. Without a body that is rested the mind usually doesn't stand a chance to center its' "vision" of success.

Reactions: Viper010

·
Registered
401 Posts
but what's the collimator?

The best advice I can give for accurate shooting is to be sure you are truly seeing the target. Concentrate on it and if you feel a loss in your attention, just pause, breathe and reset for a new shot. It feels almost like you are trying to guide the ammo to the bulls-eye with the lazer of your vision. I know it sounds corny, but besides proper form and technique, seeing and holding your attention through the entire shot is key to tighter groups.

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is a collimater?

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I understand the question then it is what to use to aim with. I use the upper fork while holding the slingshot horizontal with the bands aligned to look like one band from my anchor point. Other shooters do it different ways. My first shot is an educated guess and based on where that goes I correct until I hit the target.

·
Registered
56 Posts
a collimator is what the Chinese dankung slingshots use as a sight..but dont ask me how it works, i even had it explained to me, and i still dont get how they work. the guy that explained it to me said you look through the little holes, but they look to small to me to see through at arms length. i have never got one because I dont sight shoot, I shoot instinctively, I dont even notice my slingshot when I shoot. I just stare at my target and fire away, just like good ol' Mr Hussey.

·
Banned
73 Posts
I'm glad that Statik mentioned dankung and Rufus Hussey. Notice how Rufus holds the forks and that his thumb doesn't wrap around the fork but supports it. He holds the forks at a angle not horizontal or vertical. He also has a follow through after release. This is exactly the way a dankung is properly shot. Not to mention Rufus never takes his eyes off the target. I know that everyone has a different style but I believe that shooting instinctively with this style of hold is the only way. Instinctive shooting is the natural way and is called instinctive for exactly that reason. The sling should become an extension of your hand, not something held in it. Your eyes follow the target and your hands follow your eyes.

I don't know why they would ever put a collimator on a dankung. It is totally useless. It's probably because some people still believe that you need sights on a sling to be accurate. Just look at the slings that the big manufacturers sell, they are covered with worthless gimmicks that the uneducated buyer falls in love with.

We all need to find a tree branch, slap some rubber and leather on it and learn from the master. Rufus is the master.

Good luck everyone.

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, at least one of them does. You can see it sticking out from the side of the fork.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts