Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a couple tins of air rifle pellets I bought a while back, and have no use for them any more, BUT they are not pure lead. They are copper coated, I also have some that are a mix of lead and some other alloy? anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to melt them down and recast them as .44 lead shot. My fear is that the melting points of what the lead is mixed with will be too high, although I guess I could melt the lead out? Anyway just a thought, any help greatly appreciated!

Baz

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
This thought has occurred to me as well.With the copper coated ones, I'd assume you could just melt the lead out from the inside, seeing as lead melts at 327 degrees Celsius and copper melts at 1083 degrees Celsius. That's a big enough difference I think
. I don't know much about what alloys the other pellets are so I can't give advice, however I'd suspect the melting point would be higher. Try melting both and see what happens. If you've got no use for them any more, it doesn't matter tbh.
Hope I helped,

PandaMan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.