Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. i found a nice 'Y" branch today. what would be a good knife for stripping the bark and carving it? Thanks. JT

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
thats a good question. Im not much for the wood slingshots but the more I read I think i might try been eyeing my apple tree jist figured on using my pocket knife for debarking

·
Registered
316 Posts
One that's sharp.
Really that's the only requirement. A good blade that is sharp and holds a nice edge. All of my uncles and great relatives used to carve flips and other wooden doo-dads using Old Timers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's a good one. Cold Steel makes good knives. A Buck knife would be just fine too.Remember most of them old school pocket knives with the pearl handles and what not, were essentially whittlin knives. They are good lil blades for that.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
A Buck 110 is a little heavy and long in the blade for whittling, but I have used mine many times for taking the bark off of tree limbs as well as the finish work. A Buck Stockman would be perfect.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Try one of the Mora knives from Ragnar at Ragweed forge specially designed for woodcarving: Scandinavian Knives. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page to see the carving section. These knives are very well made yet cheap and Ragnar is a totally standup guy. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from him. I'm not sure exactly which model to suggest, but if you emailed Rag and told him what you wanted to use it for I'm sure he could make a specific suggestion.

·
Registered
855 Posts
It occurred to me after I made my suggestion that you may want something you could carry with you in your pocket, rather than a fixed blade knife. In that case, if you can afford to spend a little more, check out this on closeout from Boker. A really nice little German made knife. It has carbon steel blades (C-75 I think, which is a European designation for 1075 steel), something that's harder to find in a pocketknife as time goes by, but is quite desireable. Carbon tends to hold a better edge than many stainless steels and is a snap to sharpen when it needs it. It has the larger main blade for rougher work and the smal pen blade for finer detail stuff, and the Bokers manufactured in Solingen (like this one) are very well made and will last you a lifetime with moderate care.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,623 Posts
Thanks Nick. what do some of you guys on the forum use? What about a Buck 110? JT
Jt
Personally I use a camillus,yellow jacket, muskrat knife for my natural fork debarking.
They are great whittlers and stay sharp, and easy to resharpen. With the small sleek design of the muskrat, it is very versitile, and user friendly.
Tom

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Two in the works with a old Camco electricians knife, short blade works real well for carving and whittling , the second blade that works well for stripping and scraping.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
A new forum member, a Texas boy, that goes by SnodyKnives has been know to make a few knives. -- Tex

·
Registered
52 Posts
A new forum member, a Texas boy, that goes by SnodyKnives has been know to make a few knives. -- Tex
Some really beautiful stuff, too! Outta my league for sure, but darn nice looking.

[/quote]

Thanks Friend..

I appreciate your comment.

If anyone here ever needs anything related to cutlery just get at me..

Here is Friction Folder that would work well for carving Slingshots....

This was finished recently for a local client.

Much Respect..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts