Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newer shooter, I was in middle of making a order from simple-shot and before I do, I decided to get myself a sling set up for BB's.
What would you recommend? I plan on playing around with anything from bands/tubes to regulars rubber bands.
What I'm shooting now is the scout Lt. but I want to get something else to set up for BB.
They have that little dead ringer,but im not experienced enough to know how I would do with a little guy like that being a newer shooter. Thanks guys!

·
Ray Rowden
2,430 Posts
Boy, I think the Scout LT would make a great BB shooter!

All it needs is a set of light bands or tubes.

Any slingshot that fits your hand can make a good BB shooter. Big slingshots behave well with smaller bands. And many small slingshots can comfortably shoot powerful bands and heavy ammo.

So, my current thinking on this topic is to get the slingshot that appeals to you most and outfit it with bands to match the ammo you are shooting.

Having a separate shooter dedicated for every ammo/band combination isn't necessary, but it can be great fun!

If you would like to try a slingshot smaller than your current shooter, go for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you,
Yeah I want to get one to just keep the lighter bands on, and not be switching back and forth. And wanted to try a different model. I think shooting BB will also help me with accuracy down the road.
I need to get to learning how to make my own band set too. I'm ordering a scout LT for my son.

·
aka CYBORG
1,988 Posts
Like KawKan said, any frame can be a BB shooter - it's the elastic that make it so.

My favorite rig for .177 is the medium sized $12 POM from Dankung outfitted with 1632 singles and a small microfiber pouch.

And welcome, fun times await.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Like the others have already said, it's the right band size that counts more than the actual slingshot.

You're basically looking at fairly narrow tapered bands and a mini-pouch (3 cm length, 1 cm width or less) to handle 0.3 gram 4.5 mm (.177) steel BB's. I would recommend cutting such bands for a face anchor point type of shooting to maximize consistency and accuracy.

You may find that certain larger office rubber bands are also a great option for such light ammo, providing that the rubber is good quality i.e. a good elongation factor.

The "Scout" slingshot you have is a fine shooter for this purpose, no need to change anything there - unless of course you're embarking on a never ending slingshot collection, like many of us already have :lol: . It's good fun!

This is what I use to shoot .177 cal. BB's:

Attachments

·
aka CYBORG
1,988 Posts
Can you guys give me a simplified break down of exactly what bands/tubes and pouches I should get to try out?

There's a lot to absorb starting out, it can be overwhelming. GG's rubber band suggestion is a good place to start. I prefer very light tubing for BBs, but it's easy to overpower them. Small pouches (around 46mm) are almost essential, and are often sold in batches of 5, 10, or 20 ... and the microfiber pouches last a very long time. Tubing is usually sold in up to 10 meter lengths from Simple Shot, Dankung, and other sources you'll discover along the way.

You seem serious, if you PM your mailing address, I can send you enough samples to get started, but again, my bias is tubing. (Gratis of course, but someday you could pay it forward). Below are a couple of my dedicated BB rigs - a modified Jelly Bean and a POM, both outfitted with 1632 tubing.

Attachments

·
Neophyte
2,000 Posts
I like to use vegetable peelers for bb shooters, light bands only. The awesome boo shooter that Charles designed is a great choice too. :) The picture shows some bb shooter setups I have used the two on the left are boo shooter type frames.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you,
Yeah I want to get one to just keep the lighter bands on, and not be switching back and forth. And wanted to try a different model. I think shooting BB will also help me with accuracy down the road.
I need to get to learning how to make my own band set too. I'm ordering a scout LT for my son.
I definitely recommend shooting .177 BBs to bring your accuracy up with larger ammo.

TBB at 15-16mm straight gives great performance and low pull resistance.
Otherwise I use 0.45 at 13mm or so straight. And use the same cut for 6mm steel as .177. If you really want some zip try 0.50. Slingshot elastic from online shops is very affordable and easy to find these days and I believe is the best way to go as it is designed specifically for these uses.

Another recommendation high on my list is stick with same or similar shooter. I use the same design for .177 and 6mm-7mm steel, only differences are pouch.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,686 Posts
I'm a newer shooter, I was in middle of making a order from simple-shot and before I do, I decided to get myself a sling set up for BB's.
What would you recommend? I plan on playing around with anything from bands/tubes to regulars rubber bands.
What I'm shooting now is the scout Lt. but I want to get something else to set up for BB.
They have that little dead ringer,but im not experienced enough to know how I would do with a little guy like that being a newer shooter. Thanks guys!
Welcome from Georgia.....I bought both an Axiom Champ and the Deadringer from SimpleShot as dedicated BB shooters.
I love both, but the Deadringer is small and slippery, so I modified it with some rubber O-rings for a bit extra traction by wrapping around the center of the grip as well as the forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you guys give me a simplified break down of exactly what bands/tubes and pouches I should get to try out?

There's a lot to absorb starting out, it can be overwhelming. GG's rubber band suggestion is a good place to start. I prefer very light tubing for BBs, but it's easy to overpower them. Small pouches (around 46mm) are almost essential, and are often sold in batches of 5, 10, or 20 ... and the microfiber pouches last a very long time. Tubing is usually sold in up to 10 meter lengths from Simple Shot, Dankung, and other sources you'll discover along the way.

You seem serious, if you PM your mailing address, I can send you enough samples to get started, but again, my bias is tubing. (Gratis of course, but someday you could pay it forward). Below are a couple of my dedicated BB rigs - a modified Jelly Bean and a POM, both outfitted with 1632 tubing.
Hello there.

What's modified about your jelly bean other than the palm rubber? I'm shooting the same frame, 1632 tubes for .25 ammo. Do you ever get any slippage through the plugs? Mine slowly pull through but it's not too bad. Any suggestions to help it from slipping would be appreciated.

Mings

1 - 20 of 27 Posts