Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Monsoons are finally over. Back to our bad sunny weather (gawd I hate the sun).

A large part of Karachi is land reclaimed from the ocean... it is hardly above sea-level ... which is one reason for the urban flooding (as well has building on swampland).

No Pakistani, Chinese or Japanese car (unless you have a SUV or a jeep) could move around in such conditions.

But an old American truck could.

I like going to classic car shows... I always saw this big red truck displayed there. I used to wonder what can you do with something so classic?

(Truck at 00:24)

(Truck at 1:39)

Well this is what can do... you can keep moving when others just can't.

As they say, "they don't make them like they used to". Old American technology beats new Japanese car tech.

I find the videos oddly relaxing as they go around Karachi in the flood and pick up people in their truck (the same truck I kept seeing in the classic car shows). Its so easy for them!

Old American trucks are pretty. And tough.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Ford F1 story:

http://offroadpakistan.com/misc/the_ford_f1_story_from_california_to_karachi.html

The major decision was to make the vehicle off-road capable (originally it is a two wheel drive with a rather low clearance and a small engine) by installing a 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.2 liter turbo charged diesel engine, 4 speed automatic transmission and drive train. In other words, it would be a Ford F1 with a reliable Toyota Land Cruiser underneath - making it fit for the many future off-road trips.

Aha! It's a diesel!

I have also given up on petrol engines. Only diesels for me. And electric in the near future.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,492 Posts
Cool truck..... I actually had a 1950 Ford pickup with the original flathead V8 for a while, and my dad had a 49 that I drove all over the place when I returned home from the Army.

Great trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep... great trucks. And the two videos I posted proved it.

We once had a Ford Cortina. I think it was British.. right hand drive, of course .. not sold in USA? Anyway, you could get a Ford Cortina for 18,000 Rupees back then... the same price as that of a Chinese motorbike these days. It was a darn good car.

Just got a soft spot for anything Ford.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
More about the truck:

It is full time 4 wheel drive and climbs 50degree 'mittee' (mud) slopes easily without slipping tyres in normal gearing - with low range 4 wheel drive it seems it will climb near verticle slopes! The BFgoodridge tyres provede very good grip so that helps also. Tried same slope on a Toyota Surf (normal gearing) - the wheels just slipped and would not climb up at all!

-----------------

Someone from America commented:

As a long-time resident from the Sacramento area I can attest that most vehicles here, never exposed to road salt, ocean-spray nor even much rain, can last almost forever before rusting significantly. It is common for cars which are 30-40 years old to be in showroom condition if the owners have tended to waxing and washing. I am driving one now which is almost 20 yrs old and it's body and even upholstery are nearly perfect.

California must be full of neat cars. Nice! When they need to find cars in great condition as props for movies they probably have no trouble... always wondered about that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.