Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
As with any board, the grain is directional and therefore not as strong as a fork would be. If you do go that route, I would probably use it at full width, 3/4" and then strength test it in a vise. It's not worth losing an eye over.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Red Oak is good strong hardwood and takes a nice finish. As other have said, just make sure you know which way the grain goes and leave enough heft where the forks turn upward, that's the weakest point.

GP

·
Super Moderator
6,676 Posts
Tex-Shooter owns one of my favorite slingshots of all time. He carved his classic fork from a chunk of Curly Birdseye Red Oak. To say it is stunning isn't enough. The grain on this thing is awesome! You'll have no problem using Red Oak for a slingshot. Now if you happen upon a piece of curly Red Oak,be sure and give me a ring! ( Hey, maybe Tex will chime in here with a picture of his frame.)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
See if you can get him to post it, Flatband! I scored a really cool board at work and I have no idea what kind of wood it is.
Its old and heavy, and I'm pretty sure its not an imported wood, the grain is definitely curly.

Reactions: Tag

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I'd say go for it! I've made a couple out of red oak with no problems. It's all about grain orientation. Of course I shoot with pretty light bands. If you're thinking of shooting something heavy, maybe take DSIL's advice and give it a stress test first.

Reactions: Tag
1 - 12 of 12 Posts